Saturday, August 24, 2013

Would You Complain?

Update:

One more thing to add to the complaint list: I missed breakfast. I called down at 10:58 to find out where to use my breakfast coupons. The response from Guest Services, "downstairs in the restaurant, but breakfast ends in 2 minutes. I doubt you can get down here it time." I had just come back from the gym, so I let it go. The person at the front desk should have told me the restrictions on the breakfast coupons. On the weekend, in DC, breakfast/brunch goes until 2pm.

After checking out, I spoke to manager on duty. Our conversation, went something like this:

Me: I was disappointed in my stay. There were quite a few things that were not up to the Hyatt Standard
Him: Ok.
Me: Well, the refrigerator did not work. I put beer in there and an hour later it was still warm
Him: Oh, those are chillers not refrigerators
Me: Ok, then I called down to housekeeping/room service to ask for champagne buckets to cool things down. The women on the phone gave me a hard time and make snarky comments about me not buying beer through them.
Him: When did you call?
Me: 6:30-7:00pm
Him: She should not have said that. She should have given you what you asked for. However, the reason why she made that comment was that it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol to your room. It is a major liability to the hotel.
Me: Ok, I understand, but helping a hotel guest is their job. My request was not earth shattering. Also, she mention to me that, " many of our fridge's don't work." Similarly, the guy who brought me the buckets made the same comment about the fridges.
Him: Unacceptable. Our chillers work fine.
Me: Also, the whirlpool did not work. I had multiple people try to get it to work. We followed the instructions, but nothing. Actually, the nob came off.
Him: Anything else?
Me: The doorbell did not work.
Him: I will send someone up there right away to fix these items.
Me: Finally, you check me in yesterday and never told me breakfast ended at 11am. I missed breakfast today.
Him: We are serving lunch right now, I will comp it.

I declined the lunch as I needed to get home for another trip. He wrote down all of my complaints and offered me a free night in a suite at their hotel. However, I would have to call/email him for it. No notation would be added to my account. I don't trust these kind of offers. What happens if this guy is fired, transferred, or demoted? I lose out.

Should I drop this or escalate it to someone else? I can overlook one or two small things, but this was more than one or two items. It made my stay a less desirable.

-----------------------------

All, I need your opinion.

I am writing this in bed from the Grand Hyatt. Tonight, I held a party for the blog's one year anniversary for some close friends. I used a suite upgrade from my Chase Hyatt to secure a suite. The suite was the perfect size for my party. However, lots of little things have not been up to Hyatt's standard.


First, at check-in, my platinum status was not recognized. No big deal, but I wasn't told how to get free internet. I charged it to my room and will argue it later tomorrow morning, if it appears. Similarly, I booked on an AAA rate which includes free breakfast for two, but that wasn't mention either. I was in a rush to get upstairs to set-up for the party, so it slipped my mind until 2 hours later. In addition, the desk attendant checking me in, left me in the middle of my checkin to go help a colleague out for close to five minutes. There were 25 people in line behind me, so I'll chalk it up to that.

When I arrive to my room, I put my bottles of champagne and beer in the refrigerator to get cold. I came back an hour later and they were still warm. The fridge was on high, but clearly was not working. I call down to maintenance/housekeeping for help and their response was, "oh, lots of our refrigerators don't work." I asked if they could send up champagne buckets. After a few huffs and puffs and a snarky comment about me not ordering champagne from the hotel, they finally agreed. To cool down the beer quickly, I threw them in the sink with tons of ice - thank you fraternity life.

Another major thing not working is the whirlpool tub. The tub fills up, but the whirlpool jets don't work. The tub had a few long strands of hair in it, when I arrived. Gross!



Some minor things:

                1) My doorbell doesn't work
                2) No privacy card to hang on my door
                3) Missing a chair at the desk
                4) Calls to housekeeping/maintenance/operator ring for minutes without answer

Full disclosure: I am paying $125 for the night.

Should I complain? Are these small blips or major problems? Am I being to picky?

If I do complain, what do I ask for for my inconvenience?

Any advice would be appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment