Thursday, August 22, 2013

Why I Support Child-Free Sections & Flights on Airplanes

We have all been there. You settle into your seat, pull out your book/tablet/eye shades, and you start looking around at your fellow passengers. Its inevitable that you will make eye contact with it. Doesn't matter when, where you are traveling to or even which airline that you fly on, there is always at least one present. What am I talking about? Children. Little Children!

WSJ Online
Let me say that I am not anti-children. I respect people's decisions to have children. AND I respect their right to fly with their children. My beef starts when parents can not control their children during the flight. I am not talking about a kid crying during take-off or landing. These are scary times. Some adults even have problems during takeoffs and landings. Also, the change in pressure on a child's ears is greatest at these times. My problem is with the child or children that cry, scream, kick the back of the seat or don't follow crew member instruction throughout the ENTIRE flight. Maybe my beef isn't with the child, but the parent that can't control his/her child.


Many will argue that when a child is fussy there is sometimes nothing a parent can do to calm down a child. As I am not a parent, I can't attest if this is true or not. However, parents need to make the decision before booking flights if their child is ready to fly. Not ever trip is essential to make. If your child can't take an hour trip in the car without crying, why would you put them on a plane for 4 hours?

This post isn't about bashing parents with children. Rather a discussion about being a twenty something annoyed with having to fly with out-of-control kids. What if airlines had sections of the planes that had age limits ie only those 12+ can sit there?

Age restricted seating is becoming a trend in Asian based airlines. The Telegraph, of the UK, reports that budget airline, Scoot Airlines, has created a child free cabin:
"Passengers flying with Scoot Airlines can be upgraded to the 41-seat “ScootinSilence” cabin in rows 21 to 25 for S$18 (£9), where children under the age of 12 are banned from sitting.
The child-free cabin offers more legroom than the rear section of the aircraft, with a 35-inch seat pitch, four inches more than in economy class.
The budget arm of Singapore Airlines is the latest carrier to introduce a child-free zone on planes."
I would definitely pay extra to sit in this cabin on certain fights.  If a flight is under two hours, I would not pay the extra money. I can handle a screaming child for 2 hours. Anything more than that might test my patience; therefore, paying extra money might be worth it. Flying is a peaceful time for me. A screaming child ruins my peace and makes the flight much more difficult.

My distaste for unruly children is supported by others. The article cites a 2013 British survey that indicated "unruly children remain the biggest in-flight annoyance for the majority of travellers – ahead of drunken passengers, surly cabin crew and over-talkative neighbours" A quick poll of 10 friends had 50% of them say the same thing. Yes, my survey was skewed. None of those survived have kids.



Will American based airlines follow the trend? My guess is yes! When there is extra money to be made the US airlines will find a way to take advantage.  I wouldn't be surprised if some airline takes it to the next level and have entire flights restricted to those under 12. The question is can an airline sell out a flight out without children allowed on it. My guess is on some routes is yes. In the United States, I could imagine the shuttle flights between DC, New York or Boston being prime candidates for age restrictions due to the high number of business travelers that fly those routes. The other question is it legal?

Children-free zones or flights are a win-win for parents and non-parents alike. Why you might ask?  For those without children, children free zones/flights give them an option for a peaceful flight at an additional price. On the other hand, parents flying with children won't have to deal with as many dirty looks, sneers or angry fellow flyers because those flyers likely to give those will opt to pay for seats in the children free zones/fights. Almost a Win-Win.

Yes, I have these feelings now about children, because I don't have them. However, karma has its way of kicking you in the butt. So rest assured, IF I have children, mine will be the one screaming in the back of the plane and then I will be the one getting the dirty looks from twenty-somethings. 

oh, Karma!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

6 comments:

  1. I respect people's preferences either way, but people should remember that flying commercial is public transportation like a bus or train. There is an option to avoid being around kids (or smelly people, or "large boned" people who extend beyond the armrest boundary) and that is to charter a private flight. The fact airlines charge only hundreds of dollars for domestic flights is the same reason a bus ticket is cheaper than renting a private limo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this helps your mindset or not, but I can guarantee you that the MOST uncomfortable and stressed out person on the plane when there's a crying child is the parent of that child. As a parent, taking my first flight with my baby was one of the most anxiety-inducing experiences of parenthood, right up there with that first car ride home from the hospital. So, trust me -- we (the parents) don't like it any more than you do. Sometimes, though, it's just the only option we have. That said - I don't disagree with your suggestion of an adult-only section!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a difference between a fussy baby/child and things that are clearly within the parent's control. Like a child dropping things into your hair and getting mad if you ask the child to stop. (This didn't happen to me, but I witnessed it!) or a child grabbing your iPad and screaming mine, and the parent not reacting.

    Every parent flying with kids is going to have a flight they are mortified on. (I'm not a parent, but I've definitely flown with small children, and Oh boy.) But you apologize if the kid kicks someone. And you make an effort to stop them. It's the parents who don't care that make people hate flying with kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note, I mean the parent getting mad when you ask their child to stop.

      Delete
  4. I think an easier solution would be to have an area for the parent and unmanageable child to go might be easier on everyone. A few seats in the back walled off somewhat like the stewardess section.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hi , Thanks for your great post : " Why I Support Child-Free Sections & Flights on Airplanes ", I got it helpful one. Regards,
    Send DHL online

    ReplyDelete