Saturday, August 24, 2013

Will Travel for Food: Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain

On my trip earlier this month to NYC, my family and I decided to go to the Brooklyn Farmacy for dessert one night. Located on the corner of Henry and Sackett in Brooklyn, Farmacy is a restaurant that transports you back in time to when taking a girl for a soda pop and ice cream sundae was considered an appropriate date.  Now a days, suggest to some girls ice cream to end a date and the response is something to the effect of, "No, I am on XYC diet," " oh, so you think I am fat," or my favorite, "ice cream is cruel to cows." Yes, I have heard all of these. BTW I love ice cream.



At 9pm, on the Saturday night, the place was packed. We had to wait 20 minutes for a table of four. They have two rooms, the main room with the soda counter and a back room. Farmacy seats only 40.



 The highlight of the entire store is this old school soda bar. Made from solid wood the bar is the star attraction.


The staff is dress in period wear which only makes the experience authentic. The menu has tons of old school items, as well. A copy of the menu is located at the bottom of the post. The only readable version was huge. The restaurant has more offers than dessert, but we only had sundaes.

When it was time to pick which sundaes to have, the other three in my party went with small brownie sundaes:


I went with the Affugazi Affogato: a scoop of ice cream over vanilla cake drenched with two cups of espresso. They dumped two shots right in front of you. Bonus points for the presentation. I should have only asked for one shot of espresso, two was too strong.




The other thing I tried was an egg cream. I have always wanted to try one and I knew this place would make a good one. What is an egg cream? They had a sign to explain it:


   "Pour in 1/2 inch of cold milk into a tall chilled straight sided glass. Spoon in 2 tablespoons of     chocolate syrup. Add bubbly seltzer to the top then stir vigorously with a long spoon t0             make a big delicious cold choclately drink...Enjoy!."
I went with a vanilla egg cream.


It was interesting. I have tried it and don't think I need to order it again. Not my cup of tea. Here are some other shots of sundaes the table next to us ordered:

One with Potato Chips on It
Banana Split
The sundaes are shareble size: too much for one person, but enough for two. My family loved this place. The food was great, the staff was attentive, but most of all was the atmosphere. From the staff uniforms to the soda fountain bar the decor added to experience. In addition, the walls were lined with bookcases filled with period items:




If you are in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain is a must see.

As promised, here is the oversize copy of the menu:



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment