Friday, August 9, 2013

CNN's 20 Biggest Travel Mistakes

CNN has an article about the 20 biggest travel mistakes. My grandfather says, "learn from mistakes; otherwise, you will inevitably make them again."

CNN's list made me laugh, because I have made a few of the mistakes myself:

4. Trusting "near city center" descriptions

Taken from CNN's Article

Every hotel is "near" the city center. I remember my hotel in Belgrade.  The hotel's website stated it was close to the center of town. Close was 30 minutes away by car or 60 minutes by tram/bus. I wasted so much time traveling to and from the hotel. The savings for staying at this hotel was maybe 25 Euro a night. At that time, 25 Euros was alot to me.

Always use Google Maps to see where the hotel is compared to the attractions you want to visit.

6. Not tightening shampoo caps . . . all the way

Taken from CNN's Article

Mine involved shower gel that leaked all over my clothes. I had to spend time out of my vacation at the laundromat. Not the best way to spend a vacation, but lesson learned.

16. Obsessive Photography

Taken from CNN's Article

Guilty as charged! I am so focused on getting the greatest picture that I forgot to use my five other senses. What did you hear at the monument? What did if feel like? How did that food smell We become so focused on taking that picture that we miss things.

Other travel mistakes listed by CNN should have been listed under "No Duh"

11. Buying cheap flip-flops

Taken from CNN's Article

Footwear is one thing that you should never buy cheap. That is why I always skip Old Navy's $1 flip flop sales. Your feet are one of the most important parts of your body. Spend the extra money on shoes and flip flops that support your feet.


19. Using a credit card to get cash

Taken from CNN's Article

Cash advances from your credit is the stupidest move ever. The interest rates associated with cash advances are extremely high. If you need cash, use a debit card, because they provide some of the best exchange rates. Never ever ever ever ever use a credit card for cash.

Conclusion

This list is great reminder for travelers of all levels. Mistakes are inevitable when traveling. All we can hope is that the mistakes that we do make don't ruin the experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment