Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cash Back Boy Fails Again

Sometimes its fun to live with someone not in the points game. My roommate, Cash Back Boy, has not caught the bug of earning points. As his name suggests, he prefers to use cash back credit cards; instead, of ones that earn points. I have given up trying to convert him over to the dark side.

Last week, he made a mistake that made me want to strangle him. I arrived home to a package for my roommate from Brooks Brothers. Supposedly, he bought two dress shirts like these:


When he showed me the shirts, I asked him if he went through a shopping portal to earn "cash back." His response took me back, "how do I do that?" You Cash Back Boy don't know how to get cash back?

I write this for him, but hope it helps others too!

There are websites that give you cash rebates for shopping at your favorite online stores. The only things you need to do to earn cash back for your purchases is to 1) login the cash back portal and 2) make the purchase after clicking through to the website. Some of the cash-back portals include Ebates, Mr.Rebates, and Bigcrumbs.

Each of them offer different rebates for shopping at the same store. For instance, if my roommate wanted cash back for his Brooks Brothers' purchase, Ebates would offer him 2.5% back:


On the other hand, Bigcrumbs would offer him 4.2% back:





And Mr. Rebates would offer him a whopping 8% back:





Want to compare what different cash back sites will offer you, head over to Cashback Holics. Their website breaks down how much each portal will offer you for shopping at particular retailers. Want miles; instead of cash, Cashback Holics list some portals that can earn you miles as well. For instance, United, Southwest and American Airlines' portal earn 3 miles per $1 for Brooks Brothers portals:

Delta's portal will net you 2 miles per $1 spent:

Hilton's shopping portal will earn you 4 points per $1 spent:


The lesson of this story is always earn something for your purchases. Be it points or cash-back, shopping portals exist to pay you back for shopping. All it takes is a little time to log-in into one of these websites before starting your shopping.

Don't leave points or cash-back on the table!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment