Monday, August 12, 2013

I Did It For The Points: Ordered an Ebook

Yes, I ordered an ebook. Normally, this would not be blog worthy except that I have no use for the ebook nor do I plan on downloading it. I simply Did It For The Points.

A little back story....

One of the first promotion I wrote about on the blog was Delta's New Member Bonus. A promotion that I have written about here, here, here and here. If you have never had a Delta Skymiles account, you can sign-up for this promotion and earn extra miles by completing tasks within one year. One of those tasks is purchasing items for Delta's partners.


My promotion year was coming to an end quickly and I had 2 partner opportunities available or 1,000 miles left. With few partner options left, I saw that I had not purchased from SkyMall. Now the question was to find an item that did not cost to much.


One of the tricks I learned from US Airways Grandslam is how to get all the products to appear in order by cost. To do this, type a quotation mark " in the search engine box:


Then choice to sort results from low to high:


After doing these steps, all of the products offered by Skymall will appear in order of price. Here is are some of the cheapest items Delta Skymall offers:


I thought of buying a adapter plug for South America, since I could use it later in the year. I even thought about buying a Bieber manual toothbrush as it would be a gag gift. The problem with both wasn't the price, but that added shipping cost. Skymall charges shipping rates by the amount you spend.





My Bieber toothbrush would cost me over $10 ($2.99 regular cost + $7.25 delivery cost) to get shipped to myself.  A little too much for a gag gift!

I started to look a little further down the list and came across three eBooks with "free delivery." This was just what I was looking for:


I choice the Change book, checked out and a few days later the points arrived into my account:










SkyMall gives you 5 miles per $1 spent with them. So, I earned 20 miles for spending $4 on the eBook.


The 500 miles came from the New Member Promotion. My $4 purchase netted me 520 miles or 105 for every $1 I spent. Not to shabby.

So I spent $4 on an eBook, I don't plan on reading. But I walked away with 520 miles.

Do It For The Points in action!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment