Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Do It For the Doughnuts: Carpe Donut

Last weekend, I was walking down the street in Brooklyn looking for breakfast and stumble upon this food truck:


Hot Fresh Donuts? Sold! I had to stop even though I had family waiting for me at home. The food truck known as Carpe Donut.



Today, they were only selling their Apple Cider Donut. According to this sign and a little research, the Apple Cider Donut was rated by New York Magazine as one of 2013's Best Donuts. (see article here).

                                        

There was also a sign explaining what the donuts are made from: 

                                       

From there website, "You’ve never eaten a donut like this. We only use the finest ingredients including organic flour, local eggs, local apple cider and organic spices. We cook all our donuts in 100% pure soybean oil. No hydrogenation, no trans-fats, no shortening. Our donuts are all natural so if you are not going to eat them within a couple hours, you should refrigerate or freeze them. These babies are fresh and don’t have an indefinite “shelf life” like those other things that are passed off as donuts."

I decided to buy 6, which cost me $11 and I also got a FroDo, aka ice cream sandwich donut, which cost $4.50. They take credit cards for all us mile folks. The best part was the donuts came in a paper bag to suck up the grease.




My first taste was unexpectedly crunchy, but inside was light and fluffy. The donut was not overly sweet and you could definitely taste the hint of apple cider.





I had one a few hours later and it wasn't crunchy anymore. Rather it was just soft and fluffy. Still good, but I think the key is to eat them right out of the fryer.

Later in the day, I had my FroDo, an apple cider donut split in half and filled with organic vanilla Blue Marble Ice Cream. The FroDo is packaged in a small plastic container, which I liked. I was expecting to get it in plastic wrap, which I assumed would result in a mess. With container, its easy to transport, protects it from getting damaged and keeps it cold.


The FroDo looks like a mini bagel with cream cheese. The one I received was not assembled nicely.




To be honest, I did not like the FroDo. It had to much ice cream and not enough Donut. I was hoping that the donut would be fluffy, sweet and apple cider flavor would be present. What I got was a mushy donut with blah vanilla ice cream and not apple cider flavor. I'll give them an A for effort and creativity, but I think they need to go back to the drawing board.

The donuts were amazing. 2 thumbs up! The experience eating them remind me of being a little kid living in Connecticut. The annual tradition of going to the orchard/pumpkin patch, getting a pumpkin, a bag of apple cider donuts and unpasteurized hot apple cider. There are many times in the Fall that I long for the New England fall experience. This donut truck brought me right back there and left a major smile on my face!

Since this is a food truck, they move around. Follow them on twitter or facebook to track them down!




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

 Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment