Sunday, May 12, 2013

Trip Home or Trip to Connecticut?

Last month, I went to Connecticut to visit with friends and family. My visit home was the first in over 10 months. The question I got ask frequently was “how does it feel to be home?”


Its an intresting question. For many people, the place the you were born or grew up will always be consider home. Connecticut is no longer my home. I have not lived full time in Connecticut since 2003, the year I left for college. I consider the DMV (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia) my home. Come August, I will have lived in the Washington, DC metroplitain area for 10 years.


Even worse, my mom sold my childhood home a few years ago. She put the house on the market at its height and got a great price for it. 


My Childhood Home
A few years later, she bought a smaller townhouse for an amazing price. Downsizing from a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house to a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath was and still is the right decision.


My Mom's Current Place


Therefore, when I come to Connecticut and am asked, “Am I happy to be home?,” I feel awkward. Yes, I am excited to be in Connecticut to see friends and family. But, I don’t consider this home. Catch-22???


I think this is a feeling many young people feel. Many of us leave “home” for the first time to go to college. The minute that we pull out of the drive way of your home, things immediately change. At college, every night we return home to our dorm and that becomes "home". As college progresses, we move into apartments or houses and that becomes even more home. Then college ends and the college graduate leaves the walls of academia and gets their first place. Since he or she is hopefully paying for their place on their own, this become "home".

My hometown will always have a place in my heart. I have thousands of memories, from Little League games to Drama Club performances, and one day I will bring my future family back there. However, it is no longer home.









----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment