Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Will Travel For Food: The Doughnut Burger

On our weekend in Colorado Springs, Chris and I made a visit to Crave Burgers.



Crave Burgers has three locations in Colorado. The one in Colorado Springs is located about 25 minutes away from the airport.


The restaurant felt like it was in New York City with exposed ceilings, metal paneling on the wall and the bright openness to it:




However, the reason why I came to Crave was not its aesthetics, but the food. I saw Crave on the Food Network, but I don't remember which show. After watching this mystery food show, Crave immediately went on the my travel food bucket list.

I started with one of their most famous milkshakes: Velvet Elvis - Pecan Praline Ice Cream, peanut butter, banana and bacon


This shake was AMAZING! I don't like the taste of banana normally, but this shake was great. The pecan ice cream combined with bacon and peanut butter was the perfect combo.

For the main course, Chris went with the Kentucky. A fried chicken burger with avocado  bacon, tomato and lettuce. He enjoyed the burger, a lot. He ordered it with a side of fried pickles, which were delicious. Most fried pickles I had are soggy in the middle; these were super crispy and amazing. 

                                               

                                                                      

While, I order two different burgers. My first burger was the Luther: bacon, cheddar, egg and onion sandwiched between 2 glazed donuts:




This is the burger that I wanted to try the most. It was a let down. The doughnuts overpowered the burger as  it was to sweet. The sweetness made the taste of the burger and egg disappear.

My second burger, the Fatty Melt, was so much better. The Fatty Melt is a bacon cheeseburger with tomato and pickles between two grilled cheese sandwiches.





This burger will be appearing in my weekend lunch rotation very soon. The burger shined and was delicious. Yum, Yum, Yum... My only compliant is I wished the grilled cheese was cooked a little more. 

I got both of my burgers with fries. They were good, but nothing to write home about. For a little extra, one can get sweet potatoes fries, but I am not a fan of sweet potatoe fries. Can't explain why I don't like them, I just don't.

The cost is about $10 for a burger and $5 for a milkshake. Not cheap by burger standards by any notion, but what you are paying a premium for is quality and quirkiness. I would pay $10 for a quality quirky burger any day of the week.

On the way out I saw pictures on two different walls and inquired about them. Supposedly, Crave Burger has a food challenge:  Big Bad Wolf Challenge. The Big Bad Wolf Challenge requires a challenger to eat 3 loaded 3 Little Pig Burgers in 45 minutes, without restroom breaks. Winners get this shirt:


And their picture on this wall:

\

Losers pay $25 and get their picture on this wall:


On my way out, an employee told me that they have 150 more LOSER pictures to add to the wall. My guess is that its difficult.

Crave Burger is awesome! If I am ever close to one again, I will defiantly be visiting again. Two thumbs way up!

The website does not have menus, so I took some pictures for yall:






----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

 Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

4 comments:

  1. That velvet elvis milkshake looks soo good :)Everything with bacon tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These expertly created wines were paired with a mouth-watering blend of burgers and starters Food Truck Catering

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this post, more information related to travel please visit below links,

    Car Hire Delhi

    Car Rental Delhi

    thanks&regards
    Team Wheelzonrent

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of the wedding car rental service in delhi. we have a list of amazing cars that we can offer you.

    ReplyDelete