Tuesday, May 14, 2013

United Club Card First Year Free

Important Note: We talk about credit card sign-up bonuses on our blog because they are an important part of the “game.” Any credit card links in this post will be public application links taken from the issuer's direct website. We do not earn income from you applying from the links. Similarly, please take an extra minute or two before applying for credit cards. If you do not pay your credit card balance off every month then you should stay away from this aspect of the game. Credit cards can lead to major long-term problems if not used correctly. I encourage you to read JD's post on Young People and the Chains of Credit Card Debt for more details.  

I was looking at an upcoming reservation on my United account and noticed a little ad that I haven't seen in a while. It looked like this:




When I clicked through to the Chase website (I don't know if this link will work for everyone, I just copy and pasted it in) it showed that I could apply for the Chase United MileagePlus Club card and the annual fee, usually $395 for the first year, would be free.

It seem that the offer is targeted toward elite members, because when I go to an incognito window on Chrome the offer changes back to the $100 statement credit after a first purchase offer. So if you are an elite, make sure you go to the United website, log in and look for the banner ad for one of the credit cards. You can access the Club Card application from the Chase page.

Remember that the Club Card offers the following benefits:


Club Card Travel*

  • United ClubSM membership - up to a $500 value per year

    The primary cardmember and eligible travel companions will enjoy unlimited access to all United Club locations and participating Star Alliance® affiliated lounges worldwide. Visitwww.united.com/unitedclubWeblinking Icon for more information.
  • Premier AccessSM Travel Services

    Receive preferential treatment to ease your way through the airport with priority check-in, security screening (where available), boarding and baggage handling privileges.
  • First and second checked bags free - savings of up to $240 per roundtrip

    The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will receive their first and second standard checked bags free on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their Club Card. See united.com/chasebagWeblinking Icon for details.
  • No foreign transaction fees

    Purchases made with your Club Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
  • Enjoy Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection privileges

    Stay in style with room upgrades, complimentary daily breakfast for two, early check-in, late checkout and other amenities at more than 700 luxury hotels and resorts worldwide.
  • Receive special treatment with Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® and Avis®

    Accept our invitation to join Avis® First and also enjoy automatic Platinum membership in the Hyatt Gold Passport® global loyalty program.


Club Card Rewards*

  • 50% mileage bonus - Earn 1.5 award miles per dollar spent. That’s a 50% bonus on the 1 mile per dollar you typically earn. Earn even more on tickets purchased from United - 2 miles per dollar spent.
  • Any seat, anytime, with your miles
  • Accepted in more locations
  • Your miles don't expire
  • No close-in award booking fees


If you are a United/Star Alliance flyer and you are looking for lounge access, this could be a card to consider.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

7 comments:

  1. I haven't checked in awhile, but the United Club Lounges used to have booklets with a code to waive the first year free as well.

    In my opinion the card is definitely worth it for the first year for the free club access, the primary insurance on car rentals and the 1.5 points per $. If they hadn't removed the Avis President's Club status then the $395 a year would be worth it for lounge access and Avis status. Without it, it's a little overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Keri! I checked last weekend for the booklets and they only have the $100 statement credit, but I'm going to keep my eye out to see if they have a fee waiver one soon.

      Delete
  2. I've gotten this offer without Elite status. I plan on moving more flights to United in the future with a status match to Platinum ... I would totally apply for it, but have easy foreign Star Gold status for a while that gets me lounge access (Turkish and Aegean). No signup bonus isn't worth it. Lastly, 1.5 UA miles/dollar is only useful for BIG/HUGE spenders.

    $25K on this card is 37.5K miles. $25K on the MileagePlus Explorer is 35K miles. Not a huge difference.

    I would consider it if they had something like "Spend $30K, get xxx PQMs" like Delta's cards. I'm currently a Delta elite and those cards are great for getting MQMs (and avoiding MQDs starting next year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it used to be a lot more common, but now it seems to be locked in for the Elites or through a coupon at the lounge (if you can find them). But I'm sure that someone a little bit smarter than me has a work around....or is working on one!

      That's my only gripe, I really wish they had an option to earn the PQMs or a spending bonus at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. I clicked on the link and only got $100 stmt credit but when I logged into my United account and then clicked the link, I got the annual fee waived and I'm def not elite. If they had bonus points I'd be all over it! The perks are still nice if you fly United a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting...I wonder if some who are just members are getting targeted!

      I agree, I really wish there was an option to get some bonus points out of it! Thanks for checking and the new info!

      Delete
  4. The other benefit is that if you hold this card, the requirement to have 4 United flights as a prerequisite to elite status is waived.

    ReplyDelete