Wednesday, May 1, 2013

US Airways Grand Slam Lite - My Plan

US Airways bummed many of us by not renewing Grand Slam, last year. In its place, US Airways has offered various bonuses for buying and trading miles, but no real replacement to Grand Slam. That is until last week.


As reported here, here, here, here and many other places, one can earn bonus points by making purchases through US Airways Partners. The amount of bonus points one earns is determined by the number of purchases completed:

    Number of purchasesBonus miles
1 - 325%
4 - 650%
7 - 975%
10 - 12100%

Let's call each purchase a "hit," because I like to bring up old memories. One can get a "hit" for shopping at the following merchants from April 22, 2013 to June 23, 2013:


  • 1800Flowers (25 miles per $1)
  • FTD       (25 miles per $1)
  • FedEx    (1 mile per $1)
  • Teleflora (15 miles per $1)
  • Vinesse (2000 miles, when you order 6 bottles of wine)
  • Wine Insiders (1000 miles, when you order 12 bottles of wine)
  • Dividend Miles StoreFront (varies - must spend $50 to count for hit)
  • SkyMall (10 miles per $1)
  • DM Dining (varies)
One important part of the deal is that for a Storefront purchase to count towards this promotion it must be a minimum of $50. There are no minimums, at the moment, for the other partners, but that might change. 

My Plan

I have spent the past week thinking about my plan to get to 12 hits. Here is my road map for this promotion:

Hits 1-6 - Dining Rewards
Hit 7 - SkyMall
Hit 8 & 9- FTD/1800 Flowers - Mother's Day Gifts
Hit 10 - Wine Insiders
Hit 11 - Dividend Storefront (Best Buy)
Hit 12 - Dividend Storefront (Kiehl's)

Things might changed on who I use for Dividend Storefront based upon changes to the amount of points per dollar merchants offer. However, I need items from Kiehl's and Best Buy; therefore, it would be wasted money.

My plan is to only spend $100 on wasted items ie things I don't need. We will see if I am able to get 12 hits with only $100 wasted...

Important Steps to Do Now!

First, register for the promotion, here

Second, register most of my credit cards for US Airways Dining Rewards.

Finally, create a Google Spreadsheet to track hits.

I will blog about my progress in the next few months .  . .

Happy Batting!!!!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment