Thursday, May 23, 2013

Is There An Opt Out Option, Bank of America?

I detailed here that one of the credit cards I recently applied for was the Bank of America Alaska Airlines credit card. The sign-up bonus was 25,000 miles after your first use. The miles sign-up bonus us great, but I really wanted $119 companion fare for an upcoming trip. I didn't get instant approval, but the card arrive a few days later.

Ever since, Bank of America has been mailing me stuff about the various features of their credit card. Most of the junk went straight to the shred pile until I received this insert below. What caught my attention was that I would receive "up to 5 miles per $1 spent at participating restaurants."


My initial reaction was cool, a feature I did not know about the card. That was until I turned over the flyer and read # 4: "Your Visa Card will be automatically enrolled in Mileage Plan Dining Rewards by Rewards Network and a Welcome Kit will be sent to your explaining your restaurant earning opportunities"


Really, your going to automatically enroll me? No choice? No opt-out?

Why am I making a big deal out of this, you might ask? Typically  Dining Rewards offers you a bonus to sign-up and spend a certain amount of money in your first 30 or 90 days. The bonus is typically only for new members. My gut tells me that there will be no bonus offer in my welcome kit.

I love Dining Rewards. I have written about it here and encourage people to sign-up for it. It takes minimal time, but has the potential for big rewards. Eat out, take a quick survey, earn miles/points.

What bothers me is the automatic sign-up for Dining Rewards! I could see this being a new trend with credit card companies, because it saves Dining Rewards money. Automatically signing people up reduces the need for spending extra miles on luring people to join with attractive sign-up bonuses. This is one time I hope I am wrong.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

 Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment