Thursday, May 16, 2013

Moving to Seattle via Australia and Asia?

When most people decided to pick up and move they might do it by packing up all of their stuff, trying to fit it all in a U-Hall truck and head across the country to their new home. Well Kelsey and I thought that was kind of boring so we decided to make it a bit more exciting than that. ;)

Next year Kelsey is starting her first year of graduate school and I am going with her. So that means we are packing up or selling all of our things and moving across the country from Washington, D.C. to Seattle. I love Seattle, and it's where my parents live, so I can't wait to get out to the Pacific Northwest. I lived with my parents in the Seattle area for one year before heading off to school in Washington, D.C. But they live almost 30 miles south of the city so I can't wait to actually live in the Seattle proper area. I also can't wait to get involved with the frequent traveler group that is organized by Scottrick at Hack My Trip.

So what does that mean for our blog? Well....Do It For the Points! is becoming a bicostal blog. JD and I love this hobby, and we really enjoy writing this blog. Since we started writing it we have met so many great people in this community that we can't imagine not continuing with the blog. Plus we see it as a benefit. JD can give you the east coast perspective and I can give you the perspective of moving to a new coast, dealing with a new airport and deciding if I am going to switch my primary airline (more on that later).

But back to our new and innovative way to move! If you have been reading in the past few months you might have seen Kelsey's series on how we booked our trip in July to Australia. The route out is on oneworld partners and the route back is on Star Alliance partners. We have also managed to get an amazing routing on the way back that is going to allow us to stop in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore and Vancouver (via Beijing) before landing in Seattle. When we originally booked the trip we didn't know where we would be moving this summer so we planned a stop-over in Seattle to visit my parents. As it became clear that the Emerald City was calling our name we decided to just cut off our return to Washington, D.C. and settle back in our new home. So yes, we really are moving from Washington, D.C. via Dallas, Brisbane, Sydney, Cairns, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing and Vancouver...that's normal isn't it?



map
 But here's where I need your help. We have decided to pack up and sell most of our furniture and purchase new furniture when we arrive in Seattle so we don't need a moving company. But we are planning on shipping two cars from DC and shipping most of our clothes and other possessions...so I was hoping that some of you travelers out there might have suggestions on how you have moved in the past or companies that you could recommend?

Also...if anyone knows of anyone hiring for a public relations/social media professional in the Seattle area, please let me know!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this very informative blog. You have made sense of this topic by writing unique, original content. It’s easy to read, engaging and smart. Blogs of this caliber are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete