Saturday, May 18, 2013

Going for the Gold on United

Last year I was so excited to finally see "Premier Silver" in my United Airlines MileagePlus profile. After almost not making it to the 25,000 and hitting that level on one airline in one year for the first time I was overjoyed and couldn't wait to see what airline status was all about. And in all honesty...I kind of like it! 

To achieveYou must earn
Premier Silver25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments
Premier Gold50,000 Premier qualifying miles or 60 Premier qualifying segments
Premier Platinum75,000 Premier qualifying miles or 90 Premier qualifying segments
Premier 1K®100,000 Premier qualifying miles or 120 Premier qualifying segments
Premier qualification is based on the calendar year (January 1 - December 31).


I don't think it's as horrible as some people make it out to be. Do I get upgraded to first all the time? No, not even close. But do I get to take advantage of some great benefits? Yes! I get access to Economy Plus and the elite security lines so when I get an upgrade...life is even better!

But let me tell you...once you start with status it's really hard to stop and I found myself panicing this year in January about how I was going to re-qualify for next year. Thanks for some well placed sales from The Flight Deal out of Washington I went a little crazy and booked some mileage runs for the first half of the year. So here we are in May and I am at 23,802 Premier Qualifying Miles and will pass over the 25,000 mark in two weeks. So clearly...I had nothing to worry about.

But with a move across the country coming up and lots of good opportunities out of Seattle coming out, especially ones to come back to DC and visit in the fall, I couldn't resist booking a few more fun mileage runs. After adding up all of the miles I have planned I realized I would only be about 6,000 miles short of Premier Gold status for this next year. Being that closeI think I am going to have to go for it. I really love the extra benefits that come with Premier Gold:

BenefitPremier SilverPremier GoldPremier PlatinumPremier 1K®
Qualification requirements (in a calendar year)
PQM/PQS criteria, including four flights* operated by United or Copa25,000 PQM or 30 PQS50,000 PQM or 60 PQS75,000 PQM or 90 PQS100,000 PQM or 120 PQS
Economy Plus seating benefits
Complimentary access to Economy PlusAt check-inAt bookingAt bookingAt booking
Economy Plus companions+1+1+8+8
Upgrades
Complimentary Premier UpgradesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Complimentary Premier Upgrades companion upgradesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation (as early as)Day of departure48 hours72 hours96 hours
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy ticketsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Instant upgrades on M-class economy tickets   MileagePlus Premier 1K®
Regional Premier Upgrades eligibility  MileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Global Premier Upgrades eligibility   MileagePlus Premier 1K®
Premier mileage bonuses
500 award miles and PQM minimum accrualMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Premier bonus award miles on United, Copa and select partner carriers25%50%75%100%
Premier priority travel services, including Premier Access℠
Priority check-inMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Priority security screening, where offeredMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Priority boarding privilegesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Priority baggage handling**MileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Premier Priority Desk phone lineMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier Platinum1K 1Call dedicated line
Access to most sold-out flightsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Lounge access when travelling internationally MileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Compensation for Global Entry application fee MileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K
Travel benefits with Star Alliance members
Star Alliance Silver or Gold statusStar Alliance SilverStar Alliance GoldStar Alliance GoldStar Alliance Gold
Fee waivers and discounts
Complimentary checked baggage allowance1 bag at 50 lbs. (23 kg)3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each
Discounted same-day flight changes$75 (standard rate)No feeNo feeNo fee
Discounted United Club℠ membership ratesMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Phone service fee$25$25No feeNo fee
10% discount on in-flight duty-freeMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
$60 statement credit for MileagePlus Chase Credit Card Cardmembers   MileagePlus Premier 1K®
Award travel benefits
Priority award waitlistingMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Standby for international awardsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Unrestricted access to United Standard AwardsMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Better availability for United Saver Awards in economyMileagePlus Premier SilverMileagePlus Premier GoldMileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins  MileagePlus Premier PlatinumMileagePlus Premier 1K®
Reduced close-in award booking fee$50$25No feeNo fee
Reduced award redeposit fee for tickets issued on or after June 15, 2011$125$100No feeNo fee
Reduced award change fee$50$25No feeNo fee


The option to access Economy Plus at booking, an earlier window to get an upgrade and Star Alliance Gold status allowing lounge access while traveling internationally are great. But I am most looking forward to the ability to execute same-day flight changes. That will be great when I want to get home earlier, see a better routing, or want to maximize my miles. I've often been tempted to change my flights and actually got them to wave the fee one time to get me on another flight, but the ability to do that frequently is something I am looking forward to. How's your year in status going? Skipping status full on? I want to hear your strategy and the benefits you see!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

5 comments:

  1. The international lounge part is the most princess-like of the benefits. Hope you get to enjoy it! I was Gold and Platinum for several years, but am now back to steerage due to decreased business travel. I miss both - the status and the travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I hope so as well, it's those little things when traveling that make it so much more fun. :)

      Hope travel picks up for you so you can get it back!

      Delete
  2. I should have my *A Gold status back by the end of the year. It is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been Gold for the last 2 years and It's awesome to be upgraded to First Class almost in every flight (90%). When I was Silver is was more difficult but still you can get surprises every now and then.
    This last week I got upgraded to Premier 1K. Still have some questions if now I can get Upgrades on Intercontinental flights (USA to Europe) or not. I just went to Barcelona and didn't get upgrade with Gold.
    Also I'm flying to AUS this week and I was supposed to get my upgrade as early as 96 hours prior flight and I haven't get it. Maybe I need to call United to see what is going on.
    Also, as Gold, if you flight with a companion on the same reservation, both get upgraded to First Class (cool).

    ReplyDelete