Monday, May 13, 2013

I Completed My First Fuel Dump

This weekend I crossed off a milestone in my points life: I completed a fuel dump.

It all started with a trip to Colorado Spring and a flight on Q400 from Denver to Colorado Springs. We boarded the plane and then we waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually, the captain comes on the speaker apologizing for the delay; apparently  we had a weight problem. I start playing on my phone researching mileage runs and five minutes late the doors were closed.

We start to taxi to the runway and we stopped. The pilot comes back on telling us that the plane has to much weight and we need to Fuel Dump. For the next 20 minutes, we sat on the tarmac with the engines going full blast burning fuel. The plane rocked back and forth the entire time. It was one of the most unnerving experiences, in my travel experience, and we were still on the ground. We were burning fuel longer than the actual flight.

I learned that Colorado Springs has a weight maximum for airplanes and someone in Denver filled the plane with to much fuel. On top of that, I saw 20 bags not make it on the plane. So, I completed my first fuel dump, but I don't think did it right.

Here are some other observations from this weekends trip:

1) All flyers are equal in Colorado Springs

           I learned the Colorado Springs' airport has no priority access line or PreCheck. Elites and all
           other passengers have to take off their shoes, pull out their laptops and remove their liquids
           circa 2011. Unlike our security experience at Dulles flying out, it took 10 minutes to get
           through security with only 2 others in front of me, and no one complained except Chris.

2) E+ has so much more room than regular seats

           On the ride out to Colorado Springs, I sat in a regular economy seat. The difference between
           Economy Plus and regular seats is noticeable. Add in a backpack, the room gets even less.

3) No more flying between Denver and Colorado Springs

           Even thought the flight is at max only 17 minutes long, it is one bumpy ride. Add on top of
           that one needs to sit in a hot, stuffy, and cramped plane for 20 minutes prior to taking off,
           I am done flying Q400 routes. If we ever are invited back to Colorado Springs, Chris and
           I will drive from Denver, regardless of the price

4) Colorado Springs has GREAT Tequila

           Let's just say , we closed down the bar in more than one way!!!!

I hope you had a great weekend wherever your travels took you.



           

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

1 comment:

  1. Pleasure meeting you! You get lots of bonus points for a clever post title. Next time, fly to Denver and we can carpool down. Hope to see you again this summer.

    ReplyDelete