Saturday, December 15, 2012

Why I Am Excited for United Silver Status

I know I know I know....those of you with higher status on United will say that this is nothing to really to write home about but to me it is a big deal! I started out this year just hoping to make a slight increase in my airline travel and enjoy some fun destinations along the way. Then I was planning to make a full run for status of some type on United next year. But then October/November rolled around and I realized that I was only going to be about 4,000 miles short of Silver and I knew that if I let myself get that close to status and didn't make it, I would kick myself.

So after our weekend trip to Disneyland in LA for $160 R/T from DC and my trip to Seattle last weekend I finally saw "Premier Silver" post on my United account. It stinks that Silver has been downgraded in a way with the benefits of the United MileagePlus Explorer card, but there are still things that I value and look forward to:

1. Premier Access at Security: This is the No. 1 by far biggest thing I am looking forward to. I hate waiting in the security line and the ability to bypass it through the premier lane is something that I am really excited about. The airports that I fly out of (mainly DCA/IAD) do a great job with security but when the spring rolls around and the tourists (no offense to those that come and visit, please do and call me up for a drink or dinner!) the last thing you want to see when you get to the security line is a pack of 120 neon colored 8th graders in line to head back home from their DC trip. The ability to bypass that hord clad in $5 "DC" "FBI" and "CIA" t-shirts is enough to get me excited about having status.

2. E+: The upgrades to Economy+ at the time of check-in is going to be a welcome option. I know it won't always happen, but I usually end up paying extra on cross country flights if I am feeling like I want to stretch out a bit. So saving the money every couple of trips will add up to money that I am not spending in the end.

3. Priority Boarding: It seems like everyone has caught on that if you pay a little extra or pick up a credit card you can get ahead in the boarding game so you make sure your rollar board is sitting right above you on the plane. Last week I boarded in group 2 on a US Airways flight and there were so many people with group 2 that my bag ended up 7 rows behind me. The ability to board a little earlier on UA next year is something I am looking forward to as well.

4. 500 Mile Min: Sometimes I take a few short hops from DC to Cleveland or Chicago and the ability to get a 500 mile minimum on flights is a great option to help push those 300-400 mile hops up a little bit.

I know these benefits are old hat to some, but as someone who never thought airline status of ANY kind was possible, I am really excited for next year. But...I have a feeling that excitement will just translate into more of a bug in my head to get to 1K, eh? :)

2 comments:

  1. Great write-up! Overall, Silver status is great! However, you have a good point that it has been downgraded due to the card, but it is great to have status when flying!

    From my experience, I have not had any problems "upgrading" to Economy Plus when flying in and out of IAH. However, I would like them to allow Silver's to chose E+ seats before check-in, but that is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack!

      I'm glad to hear you haven't had much trouble getting the "upgrade" to E+. I agree with you, choosing the seats ahead of time would be great, that way you don't end up in the middle seat.

      Delete