Thursday, December 6, 2012

Hotel Review: Atlanta Sheraton

Back in August, I took a weekend vacation with my cousin to Atlanta. She lives in Florida and I reside in Virginia and we wanted to visit a new city. After weeks of emails, we finally decided on Atlanta for three nights.

Our first night, we spent at the Sheraton Peachtree Center. I think the hotel cost us $130 for the night. FYI: The hotel is a walk down hill two or three blocks from the Peachtree Metro stop.

The lobby, which I didn't take a picture, was small. There were three employees checking in guests at 8:30p.m. Our check-in agent was super funny and when I told her we only staying for one night before moving to the Hilton, she responded "I would stay at the Hilton over this place."  Even though her comment may not have been professional, her honest opinion was refreshing and dead on.

I don't have status with Starwood, so we were given a standard room with two beds. Getting from the elevators on our floor to our room took 5 minutes. The hallways were long and dark. When we arrived at our room, it was cramped with two full beds, two sitting chairs, a desk and dresser.




The bathroom had an awkward door leading to the bathroom. It was a heavy sliding door, that took much effort, to open and close.


This was a similar style door I had at the Four Points in San Diego (another Starwood Property).  I understand this style door saves space, but its awkward for the customer.

The bathroom was small like the room.


This may or may not or probably is the room I blogged about here. The hotel had an indoor/outdoor pool. What I mean here is that the pool was in the hotel, but the ceiling of the pool area was opened aired. It was a little courtyard within the hotel.


Surrounding the pool was hotel rooms.  I would not recommend one of these rooms (first and second floor), because the pool is open late and the area was bright. If you are sensitive to light while sleeping, you might get an unexpected surprise with your room.



There was plenty of seating and on a night like we stayed, cool enough to sit outside with a glass of beer or wine.


Slightly off the pool was the gym.



The gym was huge. I worked out in the morning and each piece of equipment had a TV. They provided towels, water and extra headphones, which I appreciated because I forgot mine in my room.

This hotel was a Green Hotel. By decided not getting your refreshed on stays over 1 night and placing this door hanger on your door each night, you have the option of a $5 food and beverage voucher or 500 SPG Starpoints. Take the points! We were only staying one night, so we were ineligible.


Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again. The property is aging and there was nothing special about this place. Is it a good place for a one night stay? Yes. More than that....no! Stay down the block at the Hilton.

Oh, there is an excellent dinner two blocks up, open 24 hours (very important to find these places)




Chicken Fingers were tough, but the breakfast of eggs, home fries and corn beef was amazing!

 The dessert was the best. The dinner had many choices and the pieces were huge. We went with a Snickers and since in Atlanta, we went with Coca Cola Cake. Yum!









No comments:

Post a Comment