Monday, December 10, 2012

Tablets During Takeoff ???

All of us frequent flyers know the drill:  Airplane door closes, all electronic devices must be turned off. Doesn't matter how the flight attendant says it, the same result happens. Well, the head of the FCC disagrees with this policy and is pushing the FAA to make the change.

In this Huffington Post article, the author cites a letter from FCC Chairmen Genachowski to acting administrator of the FAA Michael Huerta, urging the change to the tablet policy:

Dear Administrator Huerta:
I write to urge the FAA to enable greater use of tablets, e-readers, and other portable electronic devices during flight, consistent with public safety. I support the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) initiative to review the polices, guidance, and procedures regarding the use of such devices. 
This review comes at a time of tremendous innovation, as mobile devices are increasingly interwoven in our daily lives. They empower people to stay informed and connected with friends and family, and they enable both large and small businesses to be more productive and efficient, helping drive economic growth and boost U.S. competitiveness.
Only in Washington, DC, can you make the argument that restricting tablet access, during the beginning and end of the flight, is hurting the US economy. 
I don't fly for business, so I can refute the Chairmen's economic argument. All I can say is I like the restriction. It gives me time to relax and read a paper book. Am I in the minority on this?
I have no problems about tablets and eReaders on airplanes, but cell phone use crosses the line. An airplane is one of the few cell phone free areas. Can you imagine sitting next to Mr. or Mrs. Chatty on a four hour flight? I can't...

No comments:

Post a Comment