Monday, December 10, 2012

I never learn . . .

Since taking on this hobby, there is one lesson I still have not learned. I write this post hoping that you learn from what I have not.

The lesson: sign-up for every offer; even if you don't think you will use it.

The lesson sounds easier on paper than in practice. Almost every day, there is an offer from this hotel or that airline. Each offer is tempting, but some don't make sense to me at the time. For example, Hyatt has  quarterly promotions, which I don't sign-up for, because I don't have any stays with Hyatt lined up. This is the wrong attitude. I have not encountered a situation where signing up for a promotion results in a negative consequences.

Case in point:

A few months ago, all the blogs (read here, here, here) were a buzz about a 5,000 Mileageplus bonus for spending $1,000 on the Chase United MileagePlus card from August 1st to October 31st. I registered for the promotion, as I already met the spend requirement earlier in the month. After the promotion started, United pulled the offer and stated it was suppose to be targeted. No hard feelings...you win some, you lose some.

Well, today I checked my United account and there was 5000 miles from a Chase promotion, which I can only assume it was the one above.  This time I won!!!

The lesson is sign-up for promotions/offers. You never know when they will turn out in their favor.




No comments:

Post a Comment