Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why I Am Sticking With Club Carlson

Over a year ago, I wrote about my experience Churning After Midnight. For some reason, I decided that applying for credit card drunk would be fun. Well, I don't recommend doing it.

At the time, I applied for and was approved for the Chase Southwest Business & Personal cards and the US Bank Club Carlson Visa.


One year later, its annual fee time. At the moment, I am unsure about keeping the Southwest Credit Cards. However, I have decided to pay the $75 annual fee for the Club Carlson card.

For $75, I get the following benefits:


  •  40,000 Bonus Points

                 

            That's enough for two nights at a Category 4 hotel.

         
  •   Buy 1, Get 1 Free Award Nights




           When you redeem Points for 2 or more consecutive Award Nights, your last night is free. 
           That is why your 40,000 bonus point is worth 2 free nights at Category 4 hotels.

  •  Gold Status


          Having the credit card automatically upgrades your status with Club Carlson to Gold.
          Gold Status gives you a wide range of benefits; late check-out, room upgrades, free
          internet and many others. You can see the whole list of benefits, here.


The 40,000 bonus points, Buy 1, Get 1 award nights and Gold status are the main reasons for me to pay the annual fee for the credit card. I only used the award night benefit once in 2013, on a trip to Austin. My sister and I stayed at a Country Inn and Suites and saved over $200+ by using 28,000 points for 2 nights.  

This year, I hope to use the award night benefit more often. My travels will take me to places with more Club Carlson hotels.  Plus I am sitting on a nice stash of Gold Points. I plan on sticking with Club Carlson even with their most recent devaluation.

Earlier this month, Club Carlson announced the creation of a 7th redemption level. The 7th redemption level is only going to have a few properties in it (Most in Paris, London and New York City). At the moment, I have no desire to travel to any of those area, so it doesn't really effect me. If Paris builds the restaurants in the abandon metro stations; then I might change my mind.

One of the biggest decisions in this game is the annual fees. It isn't cheap to keep all of the credit cards with annual fees. However, you can't cancel every credit card either. You need a balance. Keep some and let some go is my strategy. 


Congratulations Club Carlson for making it to Year 2!
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                  Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!  

No comments:

Post a Comment