Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's in our wallet?


JD:

As Chris mentioned in a post last week, I used to come to Happy Hour and plop down a new credit card almost every few months. Credit cards sign-up bonuses are the easiest way to increase your frequent flyer and hotel miles accounts. Many people ask me what I have in my wallet, so I thought I would share with you.

I am rocking the OneWorld Alliance credit cards:

British Airways Visa
AAdvantage Citi Visa Card

I signed up for British Airways card earlier this year. I received 50,000 Avios points after my first purchase and 25,000 more for spending $10,000 and $20,000 respectively for a total of 100,000 miles. My plan was only to hit the $10,000 spend and bank the additional 25,000 points and lay the card to rest. However, I have met the spend limits on my most recent credit card churn (more about that Friday), so I am going to go for the additional 25,000 miles by spending an additional $10,000.00.

I always like to keep two credit cards in my wallet, just in case one does not work. This is the reason for the American Airlines card. Once or twice I have been at the grocery store and my credit card did not work. I had no cash, debit card or other credit card. Embarrassingly, I would have to ask to come back to pay. I vowed never to have that happen again. Two credit cards with me at all times is now a new rule.

That is what I have in my wallet. What’s in your wallet? 

Chris:

Well JD I'm glad you asked!

I am a little behind JD as I just wrapped up my latest credit card spends last month. So if you would have asked me in July and August I would have said the Citi AAdvantage Visa and American Express cards. But now that those spends are over and 100,000 AAdvantage points are in my account I have moved back to an old stand-by and a new friend in the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Hyatt Visa.

I love the design of both of those cards...they are just great to look at and the perks are OK I guess ;).

Like JD I primarily use one card for most of my transactions and that is the Sapphire...it just has great benefits with the 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants and travel, one point on everything else, the 7% annual dividend and the 1:1 transfer ratio with some great programs such as United and Hyatt.

I keep the Hyatt Visa in my wallet in case something goes wrong and they won't accept the Sapphire.

Finally I take both of these cards when I leave the country because neither has a foreign transaction fee, which has saves me money.

OK, now it's your turn...what cards are you holding on to right now? 


No comments:

Post a Comment