Thursday, September 13, 2012

Time To Live Up To The Name of the Blog – Kind of


Chris and I named this blog “Do It for the Points,” but we haven’t really discussed doing anything for the sole purpose of the earning points. I am going to change that. I hope this to be the first of many posts like this:

One day at work I received a text message from Chris:

Chris:               Heads up. US Air is running temporary discount to San Diego for 130RT from DCA on Sept. 18-26. But
                          there are only 30 per segment at that price. I can’t go but figured you might be interested. It’s until 4pm
                          today or until they sell. Out

Me:                  Yeah…I have sent these. Haven’t seen one that has interested me yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris:               No worries

I then went back to work. In the back of my head, the point section of my brain was saying “Do it, Do It.”
Next thing I know, I was on US Airways website to see what was still available. 

I then texted Chris back:

Me: I have a flight ready to go…Sat to Mon…. Do I pull the trigger?

Chris: Yes, do it. It would be fun

Chris: You have 24 hours to cancel I believe

I wait five minutes and then the addict me had me taking out my credit card to book the trip. Then, I had to call the boss to ask for the day off. I always do that, book first and beg the boss later for time off. (One day that is going to bite me in the ass).

Back to the trip, every time I tell people about this trip the conversation goes something like this:

Who you going to San Diego with?  Me, myself and I - all on one ticket!

Oh, are you going to visit someone? Nope

Are you going to see something specific? No not really

Where are you staying?  No, idea.

Oh, ok, umm... can I ask why you are going then? Well, I got this great fare of $130 and I will earn about 9000 miles (4500 actual miles flown, plus US Airways was having a promotion (expired now) that doubled miles for flights to and from DCA)

The truth is I have no plan for San Diego.  If people have suggestions of things to do or places to eat, please leave me a comment, I would really appreciate it.

In regards to where I am staying, I have book two nights using Starwood points, but that was just to lock something down. I have a feeling I am going to cancel them and probably pay to stay at two different hotels (aka hotel mattress hopping). I’ll deal with that next week.

So, I am doing the San Diego trip for the points!!!

3 comments:

  1. haha Love It! way to give in the mild obsession we have :p I didn't even know US airways was running this promo...it's hard to keep track of everything. Too bad you will be missing restaurant week ....ends Sept 21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elena! Anything JD should not miss while he is in San Diego though? Good restaurant? Good bar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not up to date with the scene there as haven't been there in over a decade but if I run across anything will let ya know :)

    ReplyDelete