Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Which One of My Friends Is Coming On Vacation With Me?

I am days away from embarking on my trip to Argentina. One of my last decisions to make is which of my friends is making the trip with me. As I have previously written, I have a love/hate relationship with my credit cards.

On this trip, I hope not to have to use credit cards often. Due to the economy in Argentina, US Dollars are getting a premium in a black market known as Dolar Blue. The current government exchange rate is $1 = 6.1 pesos compared to $1 = 9.85 pesos at Dolar Blue. For this reason, I might be paying for everything in cash. However, traveling with credit cards is a must. The only things I can foresee using credit cards there is for hotels, expensive meals and /or large purchases.

Now back to the question, which friends (credit cards) do I take with me?


The credit cards I have are:

Alaska Airways
US Airways
IHG
Delta AMEX
Hyatt
Hilton AMEX
Southwest Premier
Club Carlson
Chase Ink
United
Debit Card
Banana Republic
US Airways World
Chase Sapphire

The number one thing I am looking for in a credit card is one with no foreign transaction fees. The following cards offer that benefit:

IHG
Hyatt
Southwest
Chase Ink
United
Chase Sapphire

As we can see, my Chase credit cards are the ones without foreign transaction fees.


The next criteria is to look at what I will be charging: hotels in Miami area &n Buenos Aires, restaurants and some transportation, etc. Looking at my spending needs, lets look at what I will earn:

IHG - 5x at IHG hotels, 2x at Restaurants

Hyatt - 2x at Restaurants

Southwest - 1x on all spending

Ink - 2x at Hotels

United - 1x on all spending

Chase Sapphire - 2x at Restaurants, Hotels, Transportation

With this information, my Hyatt, Southwest and United credit cards provide no real benefit for my travel needs. That leaves the following:

IHG

Ink

Sapphire


Final Decision:

I am going to bring three cards with me: IHG, Sapphire and my debit card.

 





The Ink Bold provides the same benefits (2x on hotels) as the Sapphire. However, the Sapphire offers 2X on transportation and restaurants that the INK does not.

Why the debit card?

To take out cash. Its always smart to bring a debit card with you. Cash is king in many societies and your ability to access it is key. Before you leave, you should notify your bank that you are traveling overseas. Failure to do so could result in your debit card being frozen and your access to cash cut off. To get your card back in order, a phone call must be made to your bank's security department. While overseas this could be costly and timely and even then they might not turn your card back on.

Sapphire and IHG pack your passports, we are going on vacation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

4 comments:

  1. Withdrawing money from an ATM will only get you Pesos and the banks will give you the 6:1 FX rate. You're much better off bringing USD with you from America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on bringing nice "clean" USD. Looking at the difference in rates, I can carve time out to go visit the "Blue" However, I am still bringing the old debit card as an emergency backup plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one card that stood out to me on your list was Banana Republic, all the rest involve travel. What is it about BR that made you get that as your one store card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big BR fan. I buy way to much of their clothes and they offer great discounts for having the card. How I go it? I think they offered me a good discount to apply and I am sucker for savings money. Also, a no annual fee credit card is really good for your credit as it builds a lengthy credit history.

      Delete