Sunday, November 10, 2013

What I Learned From My Mileage Run

Yesterday, I was on another mileage. This time I was off to Memphis. My time in Memphis would be exactly 45 minutes, as I was reboarding the plane that took me from Chicago back to Chicago.

http://www.ratpackstlouis.com

1) Memphis is in Tennessee

http://www.city-data.com

      For most of the day, I couldn't figure which state I was visiting. Normally, I am really
      good with geography, not today. So, I felt dumb asking the FA which state
      Memphis was located in.

2) Express Parking at BWI is Sweet

      My original plan was to park my rental car in hourly parking and pay the $22. However,
      after my extra expense for this trip, I decided to find an alternative place to park. This
      was a very last minute decision, I actually went into the hourly parking lot and then left.

      After following the signs to the other parking garages, I had two options: Express or
      Daily. Express was $10 a day and Daily was $12. I choose one of the 24 parking
      spaces left with Express.

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/parking/information-rates/express-parking

    The Express parking lot has people to help guide you to open spots; very helpful,
    especially when the parking lot is full. Then the shuttle comes to your parking spot,
    within minutes, to help you with your luggage and take you to the airport. My
    favorite part was that they give you a slip a paper with your parking spot on it.
    Remembering where you parked, after a long trip, is a bitch.

   The trip from my car to the terminal was less than 5 minutes. On the way home,
   I had to wait for 5 minutes for the shuttle, but was again back to my car in
   additional 5 minutes.

   In the future, I will use them again.

3) Can't Use Electronics Gate to Gate on All United Flights


  The FAA recently changes the rules about personal electronic use below 10,000 feet.
  United Airlines has received clearance to implement the plan, but only on those flights
  that they own. For instance, 3 of my 4 flights were United Express, operated by
  small airline companies.

  My first flight attendant did the normal "turn off electronics until we reach 10,000 feet."
  At first, I thought she might have missed the memo. It wasn't until my second and third
  flights, that the flight attendent (same on both) stated that the "FAA has changed the
  rules about using electronics throughout the flight and that TransState Airlines is in
  the process of getting FAA approval to implement it."

  Just because the plane says United, doesn't mean you get the benefit of flying United.

4) Memphis "C" Concourse Has Very Little Food Options

  My goal between my two flights in Memphis was to find something to bring back on
  the plane to eat. I was disappointed with the options.

  Here is the map:


  Yes, my choices were Moe's Mexican, Cinnabon, Hudson News, and a
  Starbucks (not pictured). I went with Moe's.

5) The Bathroom Is Your Shelter Area


   Yes, I am a northern boy, where this is not common.

6) Wish More Airports Had These
     

    The "C" concourse is older, so plugs were scarce absent. I think its smart for the airport 
    authority to install these for their passengers. My gate had 3 of them. That is 24 
    additional plugs (8 on each power thing). It's the small things like electric plugs
    that can improve a passengers experience.

7) Best Views from Chicago

    My flight back to Chicago from Memphis gave me some of the best views of
    Chicago from the sky. It was late afternoon, the sun was out, and very few clouds.
    The plane flew directly over the Pier and did a wide over the Lake. Even the FA
    was impressed by the view. As she got out of her seat to look through the window.
    I got these shots:





8) The ORD Toilet Seats Make Me Laugh

      Used them many times at ORD. They make me laugh each tim.  Only place I have ever 
      seen them. However, they are brilliant:



Conclusion: 

Overall, a great trip. Now cross my fingers, I get credit for these flights. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment