Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Should You Tip A Bathroom Attendant?

Over the past weekend, I stopped into the United Club in Houston's E Terminal. As I previously wrote, I used one of my free club passes from my Chase United Visa. My goal of the visit was to kill time before my next flight, but also to take a shower.


After my shower, a question popped into my head. Should I be leaving a tip for the bathroom attendant?


The bathroom seems to be cleaned/refreshed after each customer. When I visit there were fresh towels, the shower was dry and the toilet paper folded. As many of you know, I am particular about the cleanliness of my bathrooms. This bathroom passed my test.

I decided to leave a couple of bucks as a tip. My justification was that I typically tip housekeeping in a hotel. Yes, a hotel room is bigger than just a bathroom. However, the bathroom in an airline club sees a lot more people than a hotel room in a day.  For example, a typically visit for a client is somewhere between 10-20 minutes. Add in about 10 minutes for a cleaning and each client eats 30 minutes. Assume the club is open 12 hours, around 24 clients may visit a shower. That's a lot of people using the bathroom.

Similarly, I tipped the bartender at the club bar. I ordered a beer and left her a buck. Yes, I know that cheap, but I am of the $1 tip per drink method. The bartender got a tip and all she did was pour a beer and not very well I say. What time did it take the bartender to pour the beer? 1 minute? Did she deserve a tip? Probably not, but I felt obliged to.

I go back to my question, should I have tipped the bathroom attendant? Yes! The bathroom doesn't get clean on its own. Your tip is a thank you for their hard work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment