Monday, October 7, 2013

My Second Stay At Grand Hyatt Washington, DC

In full disclosure, I was given the suite for free. I was offered a comped due to problems with a previous stay.

In August, I held a small get together for the blog's anniversary in a suite at The Grand Hyatt in DC.


The stay did not go so well, as I wrote about here. Problems with the suite and staff made my stay feel like I was staying at a Hyatt Place rather than a Grand Hyatt. In the morning, I spoke with a manger, who was apologetic and offered me a free night in a suite, just contact him. At the time, I was skeptical that this "offer" would be honored.

Since I try to be an honorable man, I wanted to give you an update. Two weeks ago, I contacted the manager to try to secure a suite for last Saturday night. I had an event in the city and wanted host friends for an after party. My email went unanswered for close to a week, but ultimately, the manger confirmed my reservation for my free suite night.



The stay was 1000% better than my last stay. At check-in, I was thanked for my Platinum status and immediately asked if I would like the traditional 2pm check-out and free newspaper. I accepted the late check-out and declined the paper.

The Grand Suite was exactly the same as the one before except on the 9th floor.

Here is a video tour of my last suite:

                         

Unlike my last stay, the chiller/refrigerator and whirlpool hot tub worked. Both of these helped make the after party much more fun, we had time to do this:


Instead of spending time doing this:


Also, this room had electronic controls for the curtains, my last room did not.

Where the stay was lacking was the staff on the "guest line." I forgot a cork screw and waited a few minutes before it was answered. About 15 minutes later, I noticed that I did not bring toothpaste. Again I had to wait a few minutes to speak to someone. Both times, the person who answered the phone seemed bothered by my call, but told me the item would be on there way.

Overall the stay was much better than my last. Lets call the last stay outside of the normal. I would definitely have family stay here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment