Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why I Pay Cash Sometimes

The other night, Cash Back Boy and I had a heated argument about none other than "cash." Unlike other disagreements, I was defending the use of cash and he the use of credit cards. SAY WHAT!

www.creditcards.com -
Cash Back Boy just came back from the dry cleaners where he picked up one item. He paid his bill of $4.50 with a credit card which upset the owner of the dry cleaners. He told me the story and I stated that I agreed with the owner. Our conversation went like this:

Me: I agree with the owner
Him: Why?
Me:  They probably lost money on your transaction.
Him: That's not my problem. Then they shouldn't accept credit cards
Me: For many small businesses, after employee costs the next biggest expense is credit card swipe fees
Him: What about the points? You are leaving points on the table.
Me: Sometimes I decide to forgo points at small business like my barber.
Him: But the points....

Compliance Signs.com
As a points and miles blogger, I should be hammering away at you to use your credit card every chance you get. Earn those points! However, I am a product of small business owners. My family had multiple small business, so I feel for small business owners.

Credit cards are a necessary evil for many small business owners. Not accepting credit cards will result in the lose of some customers. If my dry cleaners stopped taking credit cards, I probably would look for another dry cleaners. I spend $30+ a week on dry cleaning, a little to much cash to bring each time. On the other hand, accepting credit cards adds costs and reduces profits. A very big decision for small business owners.

For this reason, I try to pay in cash at small business when I can. For instance, my barber has a sign asking people to pay in cash to keep prices low, but he still accept credit cards. Since he asks, I try to bring cash each time I go. Yes, I lose out on 20 points each haircut. However, I know by not swiping my credit card I am helping support a small business. That's more important than the points left on the table.

It isn't always about the points!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. On the smaller items I usually use cash. Although even going to small business sometimes they look at you crazy if you try to pay cash.

    ReplyDelete