Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Negative Effect of The Miles Game

The points and miles game is a dangerous game.


I would be lying to you if I told you this game has not changed me for the worse. This game is addictive. Its a drug that you can't kick. The addiction with no cure and so on, and on, and on.

One of the ways this game has changed me is that I no longer can have long-term relationships. The need to increase my miles/points account balance consumes me. I spend my nights reading blogs and surfing message boards looking for the newest and latest trick to earn points. My weekends are spent on mileage runs or hunting for ice cream at drug stores. There is little time left to truly invest into developing relationships.

Please don't feel sorry for me. I am not a shut-in. I have relationships from time to time. Actually, in the past few years, there has been times when I have been involved with multiple partners. Its not easy balancing multiple relationships at the same time. One night, you go out to dinner with one. Then the next night, you are at the movies with another. And on the weekend you are on a road trip with the third. Each wants your attention and will do anything possible for it. They will try to lure you in with all the tricks in the bag.

There is a cycle to my relationships. Each starts out with excitement. Excitement of future possibilities. The first date is always fun because its new, unknown.  The excitement typically continues through the first month of the relationship, where both of you want to be together every moment possible. At some point, that excitement fizzles and you see each other less and less. Eventually, I just stop calling them. To make it worse, from time to time, I may call them out of the blue to hook up. However, only when it benefits me. Yes, I know. Its Ok. You can call me a pig!

My family won't say it, but they are getting increasingly concerned. The one that worries the most is my mother. She worries that I will never find a true love. "He's 28, when is he going to settle down already," she will say privately to her friends. The truth is that I like my current relationship status.

However, sometimes you need to man up and officially put an end to the relationship. I try to put off the official end as long as possible. The signs are there, but I try to avoid them. Out of site, out of mind.. For the past month, I have been avoiding ending three relationships. We had a lot of fun, but I think its time to see others.

Its time for me to official end my relationships with my United, US Airways and American Airlines
credit cards!







The past year has been great with all three of you. However, you three can't give me what I need at the moment. It's not you. It's me. I just think its best that we see other people.

Yes, the miles/points game has caused me not to be able to commit to long-term relationships. Long-term relationships with my credit cards!

Sometime you just need to say "good-bye!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

2 comments: