Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tail of Two Lounges - Washington, Dulles (IAD)

Most trip reports include visits to lounges: pictures of seats, food and maybe a shower. Why will this report be any different? I am going compare my two lounge visits at Dulles (IAD) back to back.

I wanted to get to the airport early to spend some time at two lounges, Lufthansa and United. I was flying out on Christmas Eve, so I left eve more time for crowds at check-in and security. What I did not expect was that the airport would be dead. I am talking deserted.



Decor: 

Lufthansa Senator's Lounge

The lounge was very airy and had tons of light from a bank of windows. The place was warm and inviting; a place where you want to spend time.




United Global First Lounge

The United Lounge was dark and dimly lit. I don't remember any windows in the lounge to let in nature light. The lounge felt cold and not inviting at all.


Food

Lufthansa Senator's Lounge

When I first arrived, they had afternoon snacks out. They were very tasty:



Also, very tasty desserts. I had way to many cookies and carrot cake. It was Christmas Eve after all . . .




Sometime later they brought out the most delicious thing I have eaten in a long time: Braised Beef Tenderloin Tips with Roasted Mushrooms and Sherry.



United Global First

The food at the United Lounge looked horrible. Almost inedible:









And some desserts:




Another telling difference was what each airline offered in the form of dining ware:

United:



Lufthansa Senator's Lounge



Extras

This is the area that the Lufthansa Senator's Lounge lacked. I did not see a business center or any real extras. I did not go downstairs to the Business Lounge, so I don't know what they had.

On the other hand, the United lounge has lockers to store you luggage and hang your coats. I wonder how many people leave stuff here:


Also, computers, a fax and copy machine. I actually like the copy machine, as I was able to make copies of my passport.

No pictures of the inside of the conference room, as it was occupied. Airport conference rooms, always make me think of corporate price fixing. As it usually happens at airport conference rooms:


Conclusion

The extras that the United Global First Lounge do not make up for the lack of other shortfalls. The lounge reminds me of a smokey backrooms where Senators made deals in the 50s and 60s: no natural light and leather chairs. The food was blah. I wish I had stayed in the Lufthansa Senator's Lounge longer.

If you are flying first internationally on United, go to the international terminal and hang out in Lufthansa Senator's Lounge. The lounge had tons of natural light and the food was amazing. Great place to kill time. However, I hope that they pay the TV bill, so it doesn't get shut off:










4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen the Lufthansa lounge that empty! My favorite offering there is the gummy bears :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa whoa whoa whoa....no one told me about these gummy bears.

      -Chris

      Delete
  2. Do you remember if there was a shower in the United or Lufthansa lounges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cei,

      The Star Alliance website says that the Lufthansa lounge has a shower.

      http://bit.ly/12bTWUy

      Delete