Monday, April 1, 2013

Do It For The Doughnuts: Voodoo Doughnut

On our quick weekend trip to Portland, I had one objective: to visit Voodoo Doughnut.  Luckily, one of their  locations was right by our hotel, detailed here. It was the first thing we did Saturday morning. At 9 am, the line was short, maybe 10 or 15 people. A few hours later, the line look like this:



The store is small inside, maybe room for 10 people. Due to the small amount of people allowed in the store, the time you have to make a decision is short. Above the registers is a large board with tons of options:


I decided to order a Voodoo Dozen, which is 12 doughnuts picked by the worker.


Yes, I got a dozen doughnuts, not the group got a dozen. I wanted to try as many doughnuts as possible. 


Now, my thoughts on each of the doughnuts that I ate. My first doughnut was the Dirt Doughnut, which is a raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Oreos! It was tasty and a great opening number.


My second choice was confusing. Miami Vice Berry, a raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting, blue raspberry power and pink sprinkles. I did not not like it, but I did not like it either. It was blah.


Number Three: Arnold Palmer, a plain cake doughnut with vanilla frosting and lemonade/ice tea dust on top. It tasted so so good. The doughnut tasted just like the drink. Definitely get this one . . .


Choice Four: Neapolitan Chocolate cake doughnut with vanilla frosting, strawberry dust and three marshmallows. This was an ok doughnut. Nothing to write home about . . .


Choice Five: Grape Ape, a raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting, grape dust and lavender sprinkles. This doughnut tasted like grape cough medicine. Super gross! One bite and I spit it out . . .



Choice Six: The Loop, a raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Fruit Loops. Very yummy...I could not wait for the picture to be taken before I dove in.


Choice Seven: Sprinkle, plain cake doughnut with vanilla frosting and sprinkles. This was one the simplest doughnut that I had, but I love sprinkles. When I worked at Dunkin Donuts, I use to eat sprinkles handful by handful. This doughnut did not disappoint.


Number 8: Mexican Hot Chocolate, a chocolate cake doughnut dusted in cinnamon sugar and cayenne pepper. I did not check to see what this doughnut was before eating it, well that lead to a big surprise. My mouth was on fire...


Doughnut 9: Marshall Matters, plain cake doughnut with vanilla frosting and mini M & M's. Do you see the number of M&M's on this doughnut? It was soooooo...goood!


Doughnut 10: Portland Cream, a raised yeast doughnut filled with Bavarian cream. Topped with chocolate and two eyeballs, representing the vision of our great city. This is a Boston Creame, on the East Coast. By #10, I was having a hard time keeping them down.



Doughnut 11: Bacon Maple Bar, a raised yeast doughnut with maple frosting and bacon to top! This was the best doughnut hands down. I talked about this doughnut for days afterwards. So, good it gets more than one picture:





Final doughnut #12: No Name, raised yeast doughnut with chocolate frosting, rice krispies and peanut butter. This doughnut was weird tasting. It had so many things going on that my senses were on overload. It could have been the sugar rush . . .



And for those of you wondering, no I did not eat all of them. I had a few bites of each, scarfed down others and spite out one. Here is the doughnut graveyard!


A list of all the Voodoo doughnuts can be found here. The cost of my dozen was just under $12. You can pick and choose the doughnuts; instead of the random pickings. Doughnuts cost somewhere between $1 -$2.50 each. Very affordable! If Voodoo Doughnut was in Washington, DC, each doughnut would cost $4.00 each and there still would be a line around the corner.

DO IT FOR THE DOUGHNUTS!!!!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

1 comment:

  1. I was just in Portland for a mile run and checked out voodoo doughnuts as well. I got three.

    ReplyDelete