Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Two Weekends and Two Trips to Portland...What Should We Do?

Last week United plugged in an amazing fare from Washington, D.C. to Portland ranging from $171-193 which average out to a great cents per mile that we don't usually see in DC on UA. I jumped on one fare last week for March with Kelsey and my parents are going to drive down from Seattle to visit us, which I could not be more excited about.

But today my friend Joe texted me and said that the deal was still around for the weekend before that and asked if I would want to go again. After going back and forth a few times and moved what I had scheduled for that weekend around I had the itch and I knew that I had to go...I couldn't miss out on this fare and I couldn't miss out on a trip with friends. Joe texted JD in the meantime and he jumped on it with us so we are going to have a nice guys weekend up in the Pacific Northwest!

Even though I lived in Seattle for a few years before going off to college I only made it down to Portland a few times so I don't really know what we should do (besides the obvious Powell's Books and Voodoo Doughnut) so we need your help! Do you live in Portland? Have you been to Portland recently? What can we not miss? Where should we stay? We are at your will and need your help!!!

Until then...I'll just be dreaming of a delicious doughnut and a nice cold glass of microbrew!

3 comments:

  1. Courtyard Marriott City Center is fairly new and has a good location (a few blocks from Voodoo Doughnuts, just to give you your bearings) and is a Cat. 4 property, so perfect if you have MegaBonus certificates.

    Don't have a lot of tips on what to do, as I haven't actually been...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are actually looking at the Courtyard! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I live in PDX and this link by Caryn Brooks, a local writer, has a pretty good selection of stuff to do here:
    http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1975826,00.html
    A few things she didn't mention:
    > Nike Town is a fun store
    > NW 23rd is a fun street, as is SE Hawthorne is the 30s
    > The restaurant Lincoln is very well regarded. Another nice place to eat/go for happy hour is H50.
    > You can walk along the waterfront on both the west side and the east side.
    > We pay no sales tax here so shop!
    > If the weather is good and you are up for a drive, there are many wineries about 45-60 minutes away. We produce award-winning pinot here.
    > Seaside and Astoria are the closest towns if you want to see the Pacific.
    > And then there is always Multnomah Falls and Mt. Hood.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete