Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tokyo Metro System

One of the ways, I saved money in Tokyo was to use public transportation. The Tokyo metro system is made up the Tokyo Metro (Private) and Toei Subway (Government -Owned).  In addition to the metro system, there are multiple commuter trains.


The first time I looked at this map, I got a little dizzy. My first piece of advice is to take a big breath and understand that you are going to get lost. With that understanding, here is my first hand account of using the metro/train system in Tokyo.

Tickets vs Pass

You have three options of paying to use the metro: single use tickets, daily passes or metro card. Each of the options can be purchased at any metro system at a fare machine like this:


All the machines I used had an option to change the displayed language to English. The button to do so is on the top right corner.


After switching the language, you will have multiple options on the left hand side.


If you are going to be in Tokyo sightseeing for more than two days, get the pass known as PASMO or SUICA, both are the same. An average ride cost 200 Yen or about $2.50. An all day pass, that allows travel on most trains, costs 1600 Yen; therefore, you would need to take more than 8 trips to justify the all-day pass. I never took 8 rides in any day I was in Tokyo; therefore my recommendation of the PASMO card.

To buy the PASMO card, go to any fare machine. There is a large pink button labeled PASMO.


You will need to pick an amount to put on the card. I recommend to put 1000 or 2000 Yen.


500 Yen will be taken as a deposit. You can get the deposit back by bring the card and filling out a form. It is unknown if you can get the money left on the card back. I had on 40 Yen left and was not given it back. 


Important to note, my Chase Sapphire (no chip), Chase Hyatt (with chip), Chase British Airways (with chip) and my local bank debit card (no chip), all did not work at the machines. I had to use cash. Keep that in mind, when you first go to the machine. After putting in the appropriate amount of Yen, you will receive your PASMO card:


You will use your PASMO card to enter and exit the station. The fare for your ride will be debited from the card on your way out of the station. The PASMO card can also be used to buy food and drinks from vending machines around the city. In addition, I saw some clothing stores offering the option to pay by PASMO, as well.

Tap your PASAMO Card, pay for a drink
In comparison, the paper ticket was the size of a small stick of gum. I lost this one ticket in my coat twice, on this small two stop hop, on my last night:



Getting Around

At first glance of the map, fear might over take you. For me, I started questioning my ability to move around because I don't know Japanese. My first few trips were scary and resulted in me getting off one train and running to the train across the platform to go back in the opposite direction. This all stopped when I noticed that each line had its own unique letter and each station had its own number:



As you can see, this sign has an M07. The M stands for the Marunouchi line and the 07 stands for the station, Nishi-shinjuku (this is the station closest to the Hilton). On the right hand side, you see M08 and an arrow...this is showing you that this entrance takes you to the train that goes to station greater than 7. Therefore, if you were trying to get to M15 (close to the Imperial Palace), you would take this side.

Also, the pillars on the track level had signs like these to show you what stations a particular side of the track services.


Almost all of the the trains stations had at least one sign letting you know when the next train is expected to arrive. Unlike Washington, DC, I only experience one delayed train in my entire trip. It was 1 minute late.


When you arrive to Tokyo, I would recommend picking up this guide book produced by Tokyo Metropolitan Government:



The great thing about this book is that every attraction write-up has the closest metro station, how long of walk to the attraction (everything says 10 minutes even if it takes 20 minutes to walk) and most important what exit from the station to take. The exit is important, because taking the wrong exit could result in a major walk above ground. Example of a write-up from the guide book:




Conclusion

It took me two days to get the hang of the metro system. After taking it a few times and learning the letter and number system, the metro system was super easy to use. Taking the metro system rather than cabs, can save you a ton of money. A cab ride from the Park Hyatt to the Hilton (less than four blocks away) cost 710 Yen. One can get across most of Tokyo on the subway for that price.

If you go with an open mind and a ton of patience, you to can master the Tokyo metro system!


No comments:

Post a Comment