Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Grand Slam Update // 2012 Q4 CC Applications

After finally getting my body back on the Eastern time zone, I wanted to write a few things about my points related things:

Delta Grand Slam Update

I have completed 8 partner rewards out of the 10 possible. The last three reward credits were from my Hilton Mattress runs, at the end of December.

The interesting part about this is that all three of the stays triggered the 500 mile bonus. It was my understanding that you only received the bonus for the first reward with a particular partner. At first, I thought Delta was treating Doubletree and Hilton has two separate partners, but the third Hilton partner award was at a Hilton. This may be a flaw in the computer system or how the program is set-up. The reason I write this to give a heads-up to anyone participating the Grandslam with me!


2012 Last Credit Card Applications

This may be a non-story for many, but I feel the need to share anyway. I decided not to get any more credit cards in 2012 and skip my credit card applications. The last time I applied for credit cards was late July, so December would have been the earliest for me to apply safely. 

However, there were not three cards the excited me. I need to apply for at least 3 credit cards, at one time, to justify the inquiry on my credit. I looked at the credit card offer out there and I could not find three that I needed. Yes, I said need. I am strategic in which credit cards to get. Should I get the Frontier credit card? No, I have no need for the Frontier points, so why get the card. 

Over my time in this game, I have seen two thoughts to earn points: those who get every point out there and those who are strategic. I fall into the strategic category. The points I earn must get to one step closer to completing my goals. Is the first category (point hording) bad? No,just make sure you use the points: expire points = many tears.

Back to the point of this part of this post. I did not see credit cards the excited me, so I passed this churn. No real loss, but possible bigger gain: longer time since my last credit inquires. Time can only make my credit stronger. January might be a churn month. I am looking at the following cards:

  1) US Bank Club Carlson
  2) Delta AMEX (only if I get a 40,000 point offer - result in 45,000 due to the Delta GrandSlam)
  3) Chase Priority Club

What happens between now and the churn, only a crystal ball will tell. What I do know is Q1 of 2013 will result in new cards entering my wallet.




No comments:

Post a Comment