Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year/Birthday Travel Resolutions

This time of year is always weird for me, while most people are making their New Year's Resolutions I am also making my birthday resolutions since my birthday is January 2nd. It has been a really big year for me this past year. I graduated from grad school, started an awesome job and I fully embraced travel as something that I WILL do, rather than something that I will dream about doing.

But despite all of these successes I want even more from this year and I have two specific travel resolutions for this year:

1. Travel with less fear: This one might seem like a strange resolution to some. If you love travel you would think that you would love every aspect of travel, and I do, but I realized that I am a traveler who is a huge worrywart. I am someone who likes to know exactly what route to take to get from the airport to the hotel, what the ticket process is for boarding and leaving a city tram system, I don't like to look like a clueless tourist when I am traveling. But often that makes me obsess over silly little things and doesn't let me focus on the experience while traveling. I need to step out of the worrywart stage and move into a stage where I can enjoy travel for what it is....an amazing experience that allows me to see new places and fall in love with old places again.

2. Meet more people in the travel community: I have a great group of friends here in DC. Some of them love to travel and I could see them getting in to miles and points eventually. Others just don't understand why anyone would go stay in a hotel room for a night just to get points. But one of the greatest things over the past year has been getting more involved with the travel/miles and points community and "meeting" awesome people. Everyone that I have "met" online through Twitter, Milepoint or the blog are just great people who are always willing to help folks understand the hobby better and throw around ideas. I hope that this will continue again this year and I will meet even more people who love this hobby. That being said....if you are coming to Washington DC this year...let me know! I would love to meet up in person and have drinks/dinner/lunch so I can start putting faces to names. I'm so excited for FTU in Virginia in April and I can't wait to meet folks there as well.

I know that you all must have some travel resolutions for this year....what's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment