Sunday, January 20, 2013

NYT: 46 Places to Go In 2013

I was having a hard time sleeping earlier this week, so I started browsing the internet. It was 2am and the troubles of the week were keeping me up. (You know the basic problems for a mortgage officer: Did I get the paystub for the X loan or what will I do if the appraisal for the W loan comes in low - Yes, we worry about your loans, morning, noon and late at night) Well, I started browsing my normal sites (ESPN, CNN, CNBC, Washinton Post), but I was still wide awake. This led me to a New York Times and travel sections, where the article "46 Places to Go In 2013" which caught my attention.
travelers of all levels, sometimes we need these type of lists to push our travel boundaries to the next level.

Before going over the list, the article is a must read for no other point of looking at the beautiful photos of each place. In addition to the photos, the NYT provides commentary of each of the 46 Places to Go.

The list of 46 places breaks down as the followed:

US - 7 Places
  • Houston
  • White Salmon River, Washington
  • The Big Island, Hawaii
  • The Adirondacks, New York
  • Puerto Rico
  • Jackson Hole, Wyoming
  • Washington, DC
Canada - 2 Places
  • Rossland, British Columbia
  • Charlevoix, Quebec
Latin America - 4 Places
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Nicaragua
  • Yucatan, Mexico
  • The Falkland Islands
Europe - 16 Places
  • Marseille
  • Amsterdam
  • Istanbul
  • Montenegro
  • Hvar, Croatia
  • Vernazza, Italy
  • Oslo, Norway
  • Lithuania
  • Burgos, Spain
  • Lens, France
  • Porto, Portugal
  • The Jeseniky, Czech Republic
  • Pecs, Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Getaria, Spain
  • Paris
Africa - 4 Places
  • Accra, Ghana
  • Constantia, South Africa
  • Republic of Congo
  • Casablanca, Morocco
Asia and Pacific: 13 Places
  • Bhutan
  • New Delhi
  • Singapore
  • Mongolia
  • Philippines
  • The Kimberly Island, Australia
  • Ningxia, China
  • Changbaishan, China
  • Koh Phangan, Thailand
  • Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka'
  • Bangkok
  • Waiheke, New Zealand
  • Mergui Islands, Myanmar
The result of reading the article was not good; I could not fall to sleep any faster. I stayed up 45 additional minutes more thinking about which places I need to visit in 2013. Not WANT, but NEED. By the next morning, I had made up my mind.

All I am going to mention is that I am going to visit at least two of these places on the list: one in the US and at least one outside. Here is a hint for the one outside of the US: the easiest airport to fly into is also one of the hottest places now to vacation, but where the airport is located isn't where I want to visit. Any guesses?

Are there places on this list that you want to visit?



No comments:

Post a Comment