Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hotel Review: Crystal City Doubletree

My second night of my most recent mattress run landed me at the Pentagon City Doubletree. Pentagon City is located on the Blue and Yellow Line and is home to a large shopping mall. The Doubletree is located a short walk from the metro and is located on Army-Navy Drive.

The building does not scream hotel. However, there is a big oval shaped saucer on top of the building.


You will enter through the bottom level, also where the valet is located. You will need to take an escalator to the main level. When I arrived, only the down escalator was working (I questioned if this was the DC Metro - have one escalator working and have it going down???)

The check-in desk was left of the elevator. There was a short line of people waiting to check-in and only two     people manning the desk. After waiting for those in front of me, I was greeted by a young gentlemen  who could not have been nicer. He explained to me about the property (not fully - we will get to that) and handed me an envelope with my breakfast coupon and internet code.


Since this is Doubletree . . .  I also got my cookie:


Then I turned to the back of the cookie and found out it has 320+ calories . . .  ummm....no thanks, that's 30+ minutes on the elliptical.


The lobby was decorated tasteful for the holiday season.



There are plenty of places to sit and watch TV:



There is a bar in the lobby, but it was closed due to low occupancy.


The hotel has two towers: north and south. If you are going to stay here, you want to be in the North Tower, as it faces the monuments, the Potomac, and National Airport. I booked a Washington Skyline View room and was given an automatic upgrade option (at no cost) which I choose. When I get into my room, I was given a South tower room that faced apartment complexes. 




The funny thing is I have friends that live in the apartments that I saw directly out my window. Hi friends, I know you weren't home or I would have invited you offer for a drink.

                                     

I did not complain, well because I wanted to save my complaints for something that matters, and also, I needed to get to the mall to buy a few items for my Tokyo trip.

The room was decent size:


Looking at this map, I doubt I got an upgrade (maybe a higher floor upgrade):


Great sized bathroom with a huge tub!




The pool was closed due to renovations, but there was no mention of this on their website or throughout the hotel. I only found out after speaking with a hotel employee. 

                                      


I was told I could use the Embassy Suites pool, the shuttle would drop and pick me up. However, that seems like a hassle to go to another hotel for a pool. I don't blame them for the pool being closed, I just think their lack of notification was terrible (The Washington Hilton, for example  was going to have the club lounge closed for a few days in December and had that message plastered all over the reservation page notifying people of this.)

The hotel has multiple places to eat:




Supposedly, the Skydome is an amazing club/bar. I had never heard of it, but Chris's friend mentioned that he frequents this place. I did not have the proper clothes or a desire to pay a $10 cover to go up there, sorry.

As a Gold member of Hilton, I am given breakfast every morning as an amenity. My breakfast coupon was apart of my welcome package:


 The coupon says that I could either have a continental breakfast or a $13 food and beverage credit at Cafe. Cafe to Go, the Lobby Bar or Skydome. The credit can't be used for room service and must be used before the end of the stay. This is a great option for a true mattress run, no need to stay the night. However, I did and went to Cafe for breakfast.


Service was terrible. It took 5 minutes to get a table and 3/4 of the restaurant was empty (I should have know then to walk away).


After browsing the menu, I asked what a Continental Breakfast was, since it was not list. The waiter told me, "they don't have one," just choice what I wanted. I went with waffles and OJ:



 It took 30 minutes to get my food, which was hard and taste of to much vanilla. However, the bill came to $19.00 and the waiter told me I was all set. Next door to Cafe is Cafe to Go, which sells snacks and coffee.



The gym is off to the right of the reception desk. I did not get any pictures as there were tons of people working out (its the holidays people, take a break!)


 On the main level, there was computers for quick printing:


 Down the hall was a business area with multiple computers, printer, and fax:


Also, a full office with a door, if you need to fire somebody:


The hotel has a shuttle to the DCA airport (every 15 minutes) and the Pentagon city metro (every 30 minutes). You pick up the shuttle on the lower level, where you entered:


If you are going to Metro and walk, here is the easiest way to do so. (Do not follow the directions on the website, it will take you triple the time). Once you exit the metro gates, go towards your right (the left will lead you to the mall).

Once you exit, you should see a CVS, Bestbuy, Marshalls. Turn around and walk towards the metro escalator and 12th street.

                                       

Walk down 12th street (the side of the Best Buy/Marshall Building) until you hit a light. You will see a paved walkway, below:


Walk down the pathway and at the next light....the Doubletree will be at 11 O'Clock, directly behind a Verizon building. The neighborhood is safe, so walking at night is not a problem.

 Overall, this a much better hotel than the DCA Hilton. I would have my family stay at this hotel. It was clean, modern and offered many amenities. I was disappointed not to get a better upgrade or at least what I booked. If you are going to close amenities due to low occupancy, an upgrade should not be a problem. My gut is telling me I got what I paid for (cheap room $50 all-in, the staff did not want to give me an upgrade).




No comments:

Post a Comment