Monday, January 6, 2014

I Won Big, But Don't Think I'll Play Again

One of the biggest promotions of the end of 2013 was IHG's The Big Win. I wrote here about how my planned travel worked with this promotion and how I was going to "win."



Shortly after returning from my trip to Buenos Aires, I got an email stating that I "Won Big"


By winning, I earned 107,700 points off the promotion. However, I earned alot more points than 107,700. Alot more:

As a wrote here, I earned 22,917 points with my first stay. While that was my highest earn, I did pretty good with my other four stays:

2nd - 14,675
3rd - 7,275
4th - 5,248
5th - 5.085

My five stays earn me about 55,200 points.

Add that into the 107,700 points from the promotion, I earned 162,900. Amazing haul for 5 stays!

The good news is that The Big Win is back for Quarter 1 of 2014.


So after earning 162,900 last time, I don't think that I am going to participate this time. Why you might ask?

First, my possible win total is 20% less than last time, at only 86,100.


Second, my travel schedule does not work with this promotion. At the moment, I have very few planned hotel stays and those I do have aren't at IHG hotels. In addition, my tasks aren't easy:


Here are my tasks to win again:

1) Stay a total of 5 nights

2) Stay at 3 different brands

3) Book 1 stay through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast

4) Book 3 separate stays directly with IHG.com

5) Stay 2 Saturday Nights

6) Stay at 2 Holiday Inn hotels

7) Take a survey

Therefore, I would need to make 4 stays (3 different brands + Holiday Inn again) and pay for 5 nights. What I am not positive of is if Holiday Inn Express would count for # 6"Stay at 2 Holiday Inn Hotels." If it does, they I only need 3 stays, which could be done. 

At the moment, I have one trip that I could stay at a Holiday Inn, but it wouldn't be convenient.  Even if I did that one stay, I would still have complete mattress runs.

For these reasons, I think I am going to pass this round. I had fun IHG, but I am think I am going to sit out this dance.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment