Thursday, January 9, 2014

Credit Card Application Time

Important Note: I talk about credit card sign-up bonuses on our blog because they are an important part of the “game.” Any credit card links in this post will be public application links taken from the issuer's direct website. I do not earn income from you applying from the links. Similarly, please take an extra minute or two before applying for credit cards. If you do not pay your credit card balance off every month then you should stay away from this aspect of the game. Credit cards can lead to major long-term problems if not used correctly. I encourage you to read my post on Young People and the Chains of Credit Card Debt for more details.  

Credit cards are the sweet honey of the miles/points game. With one single application, your miles balance can go from "0" to enough for a round-trip ticket. For this reason, you need to be strategic with your credit card applications.


My last credit card application day was back in August. I decided against applying for credit cards at the end of 2013, because I didn't like the credit card offers available then. Now that the calender has turned to 2014, I think its a perfect time to apply for some new friends (credit cards).

The one credit card I know I will be applying for is the Citi Hilton Reserve Credit Card.


Why do I want this card? I want the 2 Weekend Night Certificates after spending $2,500.  Equally, I have want to try for the Diamond Status.  If you spend $40,000 in one calender year, you earn Diamond Status.


Going for Diamond Status is a major gamble, $40,000 is alot of money to put on a credit card. This will involve a level of dedication to manufactured spending that I have never committed to. 

After the Citi Hilton Reserve card, my planned credit card application is much less unclear. The recent announcement that American Airlines World Elite Mastercard holders will have access to US Airways lounges going forward has put that credit card into the mix:


The $450 annual fee is steep, but the add benefit of US Airways' clubs make it worth it. I fly out of Washington National airport frequently and US Airway's club there is quite nice. 

The other possible credit cards are: 

Barclays US Airways Credit Card


Already have the card, but there have been recent reports of people getting approved for another card without cancelling current card. 

Barcalys Arrival 


Rumor has it that Barclay's will convert US Airways Mastercards will be converted to Barclay's Arrival after their relationship with US Airways ends. Again only a rumor but better to get this card with a bonus vs. no bonus.


Yes, two Citi and two Barclay's credit cards. I am trying to skip Chase this time around, as I have been hitting them hard lately.

Time will see if I get approved or not!

Which cards are you applying for next?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

1 comment:

  1. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. DLR collection agency

    ReplyDelete