Friday, January 10, 2014

2013: A Look Back

Overall, 2013 was a great year. It was filled with tons of travel, earning lots of points/miles and Do It For The Points turning 1.

Even though I had a great year, I wanted 2013 to end. Staring at the beginning of November, I had this strange desire for 2013 to end. No real reason for this desire, but just this urge to start 2014.


Before closing out 2013, I have one last things to do. Its time to look back on what I accomplished in 2013. I know people don't like these posts, because its people bragging about what they did. However, this post isn't for you. Its for me. Frequently, I write that this blog is a journal for the future. So future JD, here is what you did in 2013:

In 2013, you wrote here that your travel goals for the year were as followed:

1) Visit either South America or Australia in Business Class 

2) Revisit Europe or Africa (in any class)

3) Try at least 1 new airline

4) Visit one state, in the USA, that I have never been to

5) Do one thing I haven't done in Washington, DC each month and report back

6) 600,000 miles/points earned

7) Create and stay within a travel budget



How did I do, not to well:


1) Visited South America With Mom - Win!

2) Revisit Europe or Africa (in any class) - Fail!

3) Try One New Airline - Fail!

4) Visit One State, in the USA, that I have never been to - Texas & Colorado - Win!

5) Do 1 Thing I haven't done in DC each month - Fail!

6) Earn 600,000 Points or Miles - Smashed it ~ 865,000, this year

7) Create and stay within a travel budget - utter fail!


Accomplishing 3 out of 7 goals isn't a great record. However, I believe I accomplished much more than the my goals show. For one, I boarded an  airplane each month of 2013 and flew just under 40,000 miles. Not a huge number compared to other frequent flyers, but I paid for each of those flights with my own money or points/miles.

Another major accomplishment was taking my mom to Buenos Aires. This was her first trip outside of the United States and her first time in Business Class. She had an amazing trip. My favorite moment was when my mom said, "I have never stayed in a hotel that gives you bathrobes." That one little statement made me smile and knew the trip was well worth it.

Finally, 2013 was a full year of blogging. Never though I could write this much and so often. The strange thing is that I love doing this. I don't know if I have a niche yet or even a voice people want to hear. However, if you are still reading this, then you must find me either interesting or feel bead for me.

Time to close 2013 and move on to 2014....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                           Follow me on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

No comments:

Post a Comment