Saturday, January 11, 2014

Huffington Post: Cures for the Travel Hangover

One of the biggest downsides of traveling is coming home. Yes, we all know the feeling. You get home from an amazing trip and you feel that you need a vacation from the vacation.

National Lampoon's Vacation

Huffington Post and Smarter Travel is here to the rescue with ten tips on how to Cure the Travel Hangover.

Unpack

Do this, if nothing else: Unpack your bags as soon as possible. While you might tell yourself that tomorrow is just as good as today to begin the annoying (and potentially heartbreaking) process of removing all signs of your recent trip, you're really just fooling yourself. 
This is so so so important. Get the hardest part down with quickly. Unpack and put away the suitcase until later.
Do Laundry

Leaving a mountain of dirty vacation clothes in your hamper is almost as bad as leaving it in your suitcase. Take some time out of your schedule to launder, fold, and put away the bathing suits and shorts that are only serving as painful midwinter reminders of the 80-degree weather you were basking in just a few days ago.
The first tip and this one go hand and hand. Unpack, wash the clothing and put them away ASAP. Failure to do this will only result in sadness. 
Go Grocery Shopping
Your fridge is most likely empty -- or funky-smelling from that spinach you forgot to throw away before you left -- so clean it out, then head to the grocery store and stock up on your regular essentials.
This is one thing I totally fail at. I tend not to go shopping for a week after returning. This results in me eating out for lunch and dinner, only resulting in me spending more money.
Detox From Vacation Food

One of the best parts of traveling is trying out new foods and savoring every last special treat. But when you get back, your body will probably be craving fruits and veggies, so give it what it needs. Take a break from rich, heavy feasts by avoiding takeout and preparing a few healthy dinners yourself.
As I stated above, I tend not to go grocery shopping for a week after returning.  Therefore, I continue not to eat healthy for quite sometime. This is something I need to change in my travel lifestyle. 
Get Some Exercise

Beat the post-travel blues by releasing some endorphins via physical activity, whether it's getting back into the swing of your yoga-class schedule or going on a run. The disappointment you might feel as a result of your vacation's end can lead to the feeling that nothing -- aside from getting on a plane and heading straight back -- can bring about that same energy again. Blast those thoughts away with a good workout session and remind yourself that there are many ways to get that feel-good boost.
I tend to try to exercise on vacation. I don't like to break-up the flow. Most hotels have gyms, so I tend to back gym clothes and hit the gym once or twice will on vacation. When I get home, I can get back to the gym without a problem. 

Balance Your Budget
Make sure to check your bank-account balance as soon as you get home, if you weren't already keeping up with it while you were away. Not only will your travel spending inform your budget decisions for the immediate future, but you'll want to take a close look at your statement -- while the recent charges are still fresh in your mind -- to make sure there is nothing you need to take up with the bank.
As stated, very important to check your bank account and credit cards for fraudulent charges. You need to continue to check for a few weeks. Traveling overseas opens you and your bank account to fraud. Be proactive and check your account constantly.  
Organize Your Photos

Wait too long to unload, edit, and share your travel photos, and you'll run the risk of forgetting the rich details of your trip. Don't let your camera collect dust: Block out a few hours and organize your snaps. Instead of mourning the loss of those scenic vistas, relive your vacation by making a photo album that serves as a reminder of why you love to travel.
I am guilty of this. I tend to take 1,000 to 2,000 photos on a given trip. However, I never organize them or print the ones I like. They sit on an SD card in my camera. 
Beat the Jet Lag
On your first Monday back in the office, don't give in to that urge to crawl under your desk and take a nap at 2 p.m. Instead, fight your jet lag by going to bed at the normal hour for your current location (taking melatonin or sleeping aids if necessary) and staying hydrated. 
I don't get Jet Lag often. The only time it hit me hard was coming home from my trip to Tokyo. I was screwed up for four days after arriving home. Awake in the middle of night and super tired at work.
Nurse Your Reverse Culture Shock

To beat that "What am I doing in [insert boring place] when I could be back in [insert fabulous vacation destination]?" feeling, try to remind yourself of the things that you love about your hometown. What that means is entirely subjective, but it could be anything from taking a walk through the park near your house to catching up with friends at your favorite neighborhood bar. 
I love coming home from trips and sharing with friends and colleagues my adventures. By doing this, I get to extend my vacation bubble a little longer.

Plan the Next One
In the midst of this thrust to readjust to regular life, make sure you take time to reflect on your trip and share the details of your getaway with friends and family. Think about everything you learned and what you most want to take away from the experience. And then start planning again! There's no better way to cure a travel hangover than to pull out a map, do some research, and get excited about the amazing adventures to come.
Amen! Get right back on the horse and plan the next trip.

10 Tips to Cure the Travel Hangover. If your like me, you also have a real hangover to nurse after your trip. I have you cover there to with Hangover Cures from Around The World.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                            Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

No comments:

Post a Comment