Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Suite Life @ Austin Hyatt Regency

On my recent trip to Austin, I decided to stay at the Austin Hyatt Regency.


The hotel is located off the South Congress Bridge, where one can view the bats at dusk.


The hotel's parking lot/garage is under renovations. One has two options, self-park for $10 a night or valet at $24 a night. I valeted, because the self park option was limited and tight. However, the parking situation was not a surprise to me. There were notices about the lack of parking on the Hyatt website, I was told about the parking situation when I called to book an upgrade and received an email from the hotel a few days before arriving. I applaude Hyatt for their proactive communication.


The reception desk is to the left of the lobby. Check-in was smooth. They welcomed us to the hotel, acknowledged my Platinum status and asked about my parking choice. What was not discussed was our breakfast vouchers. I booked with a AAA rate that provided for breakfast for 2 each day. It wasn't until later that I noticed the lack of vouchers. A quick call to concierge gave me the answer: charge it to the room, it would be removed later.

I decided to use one of my suite upgrades provided to me by my Chase Hyatt Visa for being a platinum member prior to applying.  We were given keys to room 503 and 504.

When we opened the door, my sister and I were pleasantly surprised:



This was my first real suite. So, I was giddy like a child in a candy shop. The suite had two double beds, a living area and two full baths. The suite can turn into a three room suite by the unlocking of this door below. The room next door has a king bed and another full bath turning the suite into a two bedroom, three bath suite.


The views from the room were amazing.





The lobby of the hotel has plenty of places to sit and relax. It was inviting, but also invoked a night club feel at night.









There is additional seating outside on the patio with multiple TVs and fire pits. Great for warm Texas nights.



Also, on the ground level is the gym which is open 24/7. The gym was a good size for the number of rooms in the hotel. Each elliptical and treadmill had its own TVS. The gym was stocked with cold towels, dry towels, headphones and citrus flavored water.





The pool is located outside and opened late.



The hotel has a business center on second floor. The center has four computers, but the price to use was extremely expensive. $6.95 for 15 minutes...exessive.




Breakfast is served in the Southwest Bistro located on the second floor.


As I stated, the AAA rate came with breakfast for two of us. The breakfast buffet was amazing with every option that one could want. I especially liked the fried french toast with the berry compote.








My sister ordered off the menu and got the Austin Eggs Benedict, which she enjoyed:

 
Our bill came to over $50 and was removed, as promised, on my final folio.

The hotel is located on the southside of Austin, but it is a short walk over the bridge to the major tourist bar scene. If walking is not your style, there were always cabs right outside the hotel waiting for fares.

This is was amazing hotel stay. The staff was attentive, the product clean and modern and food amazing. I wish I could have afforded to stay here more than one night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment