Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Observations from my Recent Trip to Austin

Two weekends ago, I had to fly to Austin to help my baby sister, as I described here. Ultimately, everything worked out well: no major delays, decent hotels, and friendly people. However, like all trips, I learned many things:

       1) Mr. and Mrs. Pee Pee slowly coming to airports
                 
                  In college, I spent a semester roaming Europe, I learned of the phenomenon know as
                  Mr. & Mrs. Pee Pee aka elderly people who you pay to use the bathroom. In return, they
                  ensure the bathroom is cleaned. I haven't seen this model put into place anywhere in
                  the United States.

                  When I got off my flight from DCA and went to the bathroom, I was a little shocked to
                  see a bathroom attendant. He greeted me when I arrived and thanked me for coming on
                  my way out. He had a locked glass box for tips. While this is different from the Mr. Pee
                  Pee model, I fear that airlines and airports, who are on a fee binge, might turn to
                  charging to go number 1 and number 2.

      2) CRJ is a small plane for 2 1/2 hour flight

               

                 Most of the flights between CLT and AUS are operated by regional jets. It was a little
                 cramped height wise. On the other hand, I felt like I had more leg room on these flights
                 than my flights to and from DCA.

      3) Sometimes prepaying for gas make sense

                I made a small mistake. I decided not to prepay for fuel when renting the car. They were
                offering gas at $3.05, I ended up paying $3.30 a gallon. Normally, I don't accept the
                prepay option, because the cost will be taxed making it more expensive.

                I was in a mood, so I really wasn't paying attention. My sister asked me why I didn't take
                the half tank option. "What half tank option?" I said. Supposedly, the rental car attendant
                offered for me to prepay for only half a tank.  I have never been offered the ability to
                only pay for 1/2 tank; only the full tank option.  Is this a new trend?

    4) I love the benefits of Chase Hyatt Visa

                I wrote here about how I used my two free nights at the Tokyo Park Hyatt. Since I was a
                Platinum Member of the Hyatt program prior to applying for the Hyatt Visa, I earned two
                suite upgrades on paid stays as well. I used one of those for a night at the Austin Hyatt
                Regency and was given a two room suite. This was my first suite, so I was kinda blown
                away:

                 


                 The view from a fifth floor suite was beautiful.



 
            5) A+ Apartment Locators is a great service

                     My sister contacted A+ Apartment Locators to help her with the search for
                     an apartment. I was blown away by their service. In essence, Apartment Locators
                     are realtors for people looking for apartments. First, one sits with them in their
                     office to discuss the must haves in an apartment. Then, A+ calls various apartments,
                     on your behalf, to see if they have availability. Finally, they take you to visit the
                     apartments like a realtor does with houses. The kicker, one owes them nothing. A+
                     gets paid by the apartment company once a lease is signed.

                     For my sister, this service was so helpful. When you are moving to a brand new city,
                     knowing which neighborhoods are safe, trendy or overpriced is difficult. Having
                     someone guide you through the process is so helpful. Nick, our A+ representative,
                     was amazing. I would highly endorse him over and over again.

                     I wish DC had a similar service. Shopping for apartment sucks!


              6) The ants didn't even want to stay here

                     My stay at the Country Inn and Suites started out not so well. We arrived in the room
                     and saw a massive quantity of ants by the window and AC unit.

                           


                   The ants had been there for a long time, as many of their friends had passed on to the 
                   other side. The staff got us a new room within minutes and kept on apologizing over
                   the next two days.
                 
                7) Spinning shower head is cool, but not practical

                   Our shower at the Country Inn and Suites had a spinning shower head:

                   

                   It was cool to look at it, but I don't know if it added to the shower experience.
                   Maybe if it had neon lights.

              8) The bats under the Congress Bridge are a must see!

                   Wrote about it here. One of the coolest things we saw on the trip.

              9)  Stubb's Gospel Brunch Overrated?

                    My sister got us a table for Sunday brunch at Stubb's. I was excited to try this
                    place out as everyone talk highly of it. However, brunch was a little overrated.


                   The food was not very good and then ran out of it. We arrived shortly after 11am 
                   and were seated quickly. They took our drink orders and then told to go outside 
                   for food.


                     The buffet was hotel brunch quality at best with someone carving brisket, chicken, 
                     and  sausage at the end of the table        


                    The real draw must be the band, which is downstairs. There are table down there, 
                    but reservations must be made weeks ahead of time.


                    I brunch did not impress me. They ran out of food. Did not replenish stuff in time and
                    it was a little overpriced. I think the brunch at the Hyatt was better:

     

                
Overall, the trip was great. My only regret was I wish I had more time to plan things to do.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

2 comments:

  1. Did you rent from Enterprise? They're the only agency (at least at airport locations) that I've been offered a half tank refuel option. They probably still make money on it, but it's helpful if you're rushing to the airport to depart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it was Advantage. They were soooo much cheaper than anyone else. I am going to have to start seeing if more car companies move to selling only half a tank.

    ReplyDelete