Sunday, June 23, 2013

Do It For The Doughnuts: Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken

Do It For The Doughnuts typically involves us traveling to try various doughnut shops around the country. What I have overlooked is that Washington, DC is starting to be a hot bed of over-the-top doughnut shops. So much so, the Washington Post is hosting a March Madness style contest pitting doughnut shops against each other.

After the initial round, the doughnut shop in the lead is Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken.


I had to go visit this place for two reason. First, Astro beat 25 other places in the first round of the WashPo's contest. But more importantly, last week, I walked into a conversation in the work lunch room about this crazy doughnut place located downtown. When it starts popping up during the water cooler conversation, something must be either really good or really bad. I had to try this place quickly.

Astro Doughnuts is located between 13th and 14th Street on G Street.

The closest metro stop is Metro Center; take the 13th & G exit.



The doughnut shop does not have much to it: a counter and trays of doughnuts. Since the only place to sit is a bench outside and that was occupied, I took the doughnuts home.

Astro Doughnuts has a sleek black box. Bring these to the office and your popularity will rise.


The store only had five doughnuts available when I went, so I got six. Don't know why I got six, but I told the guy I wanted six. The types of doughnuts available changes by the day. Visit the website to see their list.


The first doughnut I tried was the Salted Caramel. 

      - The doughnut was good. The first thing you will notice is that these are fresh doughnuts. The
         yeast doughnut was spongy, but that took away from the overall doughnut. The icing combo 
         got lost by the sheer volume of the doughnut.


The second doughnut was the PB &J.

          - The doughnut is square. It wins points for being square. The jelly inside the doughnut was
             so good. I wish there was more of it or they had a doughnut stuffed fulled with it, because
             I would buy a dozen of them on the spot. On the other hand, the peanut butter was not good.
             It was bland and blah. When you put it all together, the PBJ combo failed.



The next on deck was maple bacon.

         - The maple bacon is a staple on my doughnut list. The bacon was crispy and salty. Two
            key parts to any good bacon. The maple icing was noticeable. When put all together, it
            was finger licking good.



The fourth doughnut is Vanilla Bean Glazed.

           - I didn't understand this doughnut. The writing on the doughnut was very pretty. However,
             it lack flavor. I had to check my receipt twice to know what flavor I was eating.


The final doughnut was Birthday Cake.

           - This was the clear winner. Hands down! The doughnut was made from cake batter,
             not doughnut batter. It was soft and chocolaty. The squirt of frosting in the middle
             add so much flavor. Another one I would return to eat in the dozen.

                                      


Astro Doughnuts were very tasty. A great weekend treat. I will defiantly be a returning customer; 
just on a different day to try new doughnuts.

The cost depends on the doughnut type and was somewhere between $2.25 to $2.75 each. 

Astro Doughnuts: 1308 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004 - (202)-809-5565

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment