Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Upcoming Week & Social Media

With Chris on his trip to London for the next week, I will be in the driver's seat for the blog. Please check back every day, as I will not be putting Twitter notifications about blog posts. Chris is the social media guru of the two of us.

Honestly, I don't get Twitter. I don't have an account and I don't think I am interesting enough to post stuff everyday. Who would want to follow me? However, it seems that social media is becoming a very important part of the "game:"
  • Airlines are releasing great fares only via Twitter. 
  • Hotels are giving out points for "liking" them on Facebook or linking your accounts.
  • Checking in on Facebook or Foursquare earned you 50 points at various travel partners.
  • AMEX is constantly offering discounts and statement credits through Facebook and Foursquare
  • Currently, you can get 250 points for checking on Foursquare when staying at a Starwood hotel
  • Some of the best customer service can be found via twitter

Will you get point rich by doing some of these promotions? No, not really.

Will it help top off your accounts? Yes and open up opportunities to transfer points for promotions.

For example, Delta's New Member Promotion allows you to earn the 500 partner bonus by transferring hotel points into Delta Points. Club Carlson had a promotion in August that if you looked at a picture book, you would earn 100 Club Carlson points. The best part is the promotion last 6 weeks or a possible 4200 points. 2000 Club Carlson points can be transferred into 250 SkyMiles, triggering the 500 partner bonus for a total of 750 SkyMiles.

With hotels and airlines releasing their best promotions via email, tweets, and Facebook, it maybe time for me to join the bandwagon. Bandwagon jumping is not something I normally due, but as a points antic, I feel like I am losing out on points by ignoring the social media aspect.

Again, don't expect twitter posts with updates about the blog from me this week, but maybe shortly, you might see me in the twitter universe.

Happy Tweeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment