Sunday, February 24, 2013

Got a Hotel Stay Coming Up? Double Check Your Rate!

Over the next two weekends I'm headed to Portland, OR twice, once for a guys weekend with JD and our friend Joe and the next weekend with Kelsey and my parents who will be driving down from Seattle. I'm really excited for both weekend trip and excited to explore Portland (read: eat doughnuts, drink beer and eat lots of food truck food).

For both weekend I have booked rooms at the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower. My hope is that with Hilton HHonors Gold status we will get upgraded to their Executive Tower so we can have access to the Executive Lounge as well as breakfast for all of us over the two weekends.

When I first booked the rooms they were running at over $150 per night, which isn't horrible, but I'm always up for a deal. So over the past few weekends I have been checking back to see if rates had moved and was lucky enough last weekend to see that the rate had gone down for both weekends! For this upcoming weekend it went from around $150 to $113 per night (score!) and for the next weekend it went down to $130 (still not bad).

I know it's a simple bit of advice, but checking back to see if rates have changed is something that I often forget to do and one of the main reasons that I book a refundable rate. In the end if the rate goes down you have a cheaper hotel stay, if it doesn't you still have a room booked and won't face last minute rates. So...have any upcoming stays you need to go check now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for us? E-mail us at chris@doitforthepoints.com or jd@doitforthepoints.com

1 comment:

  1. This is something you should definitely do if you're staying at a Marriott as Marriott has a "Best Rate Guarantee" where they will price match and give you an additional 25% off within 24 hours of your original booking.

    ReplyDelete