Monday, February 4, 2013

Anatomy of a Mattress Run

This post is dedicated to my grandfather: who does not understand why I participate in this hobby.

The other night, I did a mattress run at the Dulles Sheraton. This is the 2 of 3 mattress runs that I am completing before the end of February. Starwood offered me 4,000 points for each of the next three stays with them. 12,000 Starwood points could earn me 1 night at a W Hotel, 2 nights at a Westin, 3 nights at a Sheraton or 4 nights at Four Points. 12,000 points is way to many for me to leave them on the table by not participating in this offer. This was a targeted offer (expired now), others have reported being offered 1 free night after 1 stay, some have received nothing. 
 
Back to the reason for this post: educating my Grandfather. I mentioned the other day to my grandfather that I was spending the night at a hotel this weekend. He asked “why?” and I quickly responded that it was to earn extra points. “Isn’t it a waste of money,” he quickly responded. I tried a quick rebuttal, but nothing was getting through.

That got me to thinking. What is the purpose of a Mattress Run?

There are three positive outcomes that people expect from a mattress run.

1)      Free Night Certificates

2)      Bonus Points

3)      Earning or Keeping Status

Free Night Certificates

Sometimes hotel chains have promotions that require you to stay X times to earn a free night to spend at a future time. For example, Starwood offered some members the ability to stay one night and earn a free night to spend at any category 1-6 hotels. More likely, hotel chains require you to spend 2 or 3 nights to earn a free night like the current Marriott MegaBonus. Under the MegaBonus promotion, those who register here, have the ability to earn a free night after spending 2 stays at any Marriott between February 1 and April 30th. You can learn more about Mega Bonus here.

Would I go on a mattress run to complete this promotion? No and yes.

I would not complete two one night mattress runs in order to get the free night., but some might. For example, if you are taking a trip to Ankara, Turkey, a Friday night stay at the Marriott (Category 4) will cost $250. A stay at Courtyard by Marriott close to IAD, on the weekend, could cost you about $75 all-in. Therefore, by spending $150 and some of your time, you could earn a free night. However, there is a chance that the hotel might be out of free nights, when you want to go.

Let’s change the scenario. Say you have already planned a stay at a Marriott for a quick weekend trip or work. Would I book a mattress run? In this situation, I would. One stay is already booked and paid for; leaving only one left for the free night. A quick stay at a inexpensive Marriott could result in significant savings, when you  decide to use your free night.

Bonus Points

Sometimes hotel chains offer bonus points, on top of the normal points one earns, for staying at one of their hotels.  Chains have offered any where from 1,000 upward of 50,000 bonus points for staying one night. For example, at the end of 2012, Hilton offered 1,000 points for each weekend night spent. Would I complete a mattress run for 1,000 bonus points? No, I can’t think of a single hotel program where 1,000 points justifies the time and cost of a mattress run.

Noted above, I am completing mattress runs for 4,000 Starwood points for each stay. Would I do a mattress run for 4,000 Hilton, Club Carlson or Marriott points, probably not. Starwood points are very valuable. The cost of my night at the Four Points San Diego, in September was 4,000 Starwood points or $150. My latest mattress run cost me $71 all-in. If I decided to use those points to stay at the Four Points San Diego, I am getting my room for half –out: $71 mattress run cost vs. paying $150 out right. In addition, Starwood points can be transferred to many airlines at a 1:1 ratio. 4,000 American Airlines, US Airways, or Delta miles for $71, a bargain, if I say so myself.

However, there are some offers that are to good to sit on sideline. For the past two years, Club Carlson has offered 50,000 points for staying one night. 50,000 points, at Club Carlson, will get you one free night at their top tier hotels. Chris & his GF did mattress runs, during the most recent promotions, to stay at the Radisson Blu London and Amsterdam. Normally, the cost to stay at those two hotels is $225-$300 per night. Chris & GF earned their 50,000 points on $75 stays. Their $75 mattress runs bought them stays at hotels costs a minimum $225 per night.

Mattress running for hotel bonus points is sometimes justified. How many bonus points makes a mattress run worth it? That's a personal choice and really depends on your goals.

Earning or Keeping Status

By November or December of each year, we see an increase in mattress running for the sole purpose of keeping status. Hotel status can give you upgrades, free breakfast, and ability to earn more points. For some people, having status justifies the need to mattress run at the end of the year. I am one of these people. At the end of last year, I was given an opportunity to keep my Gold status at Hilton for staying 4 times in 90 days. I already had two stays planned, leaving me two shy. I went mattress running, which I detail here and here.

Gold status at Hilton gives me breakfast, the ability to get upgrades (sometimes) and 25% bonus on my base points. In Tokyo, I got upgraded to club level, which gave me breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening appetizers. Having a place to eat everyday, in a foreign city, is important. My experience in Tokyo justifies my need to keep my Gold status.

Mattress running for status can be the hardest to justify. One does not earn anything tangible after the mattress run(s). One could say "status" is tangible, but is it? With free nights and bonus points, the benefit is yours immediately after your stay. Status can only be used on future stays. What happens if work "grounds" you or forces you to stay at Hilton only on work trips, when you have top status at Starwood. Then the benefit of mattress running to keep your status is diluted. Yes, you have your personal trips, but many people mattress run to support both business and personal hotel stays especially those trying for higher status.

Conclusion 

Mattress running can result in free night certificates, bonus points and earning or keeping status. All of these outcomes are very valuable in being successful in the game. However, mattress running comes at a cost in the form of money and time. It is important to remember to deduct the cost of every mattress run from your travel budget. When you mattress run, you are in essence prepaying for future stays. Do I mattress run every offer? Of course not! As with any aspect of the game, if the result of the offer does not support my goals, I don't participate.

I can't tell you when mattress running is right. The decision when to mattress run is a personal one.
The cost of hotel stay and time can be great, but the result can be very beneficial.












7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    For both mattress and carpets the manufactures use different names at different stores. WTF? why do these consumer unfriendly modes of business continue in 2007?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog since so many days.. the content you provide about mattress really helps me..
    Great post.. very attractive and filled lot of information about mattress thanks for sharing.
    Regards
    Mattresses Suppliers In Mumbai
    Buy Mattresses In Mumbai
    Mattresses Manufacturer In Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also benefit from learning the assessments, but learn that alot of people ought to stay on essay to try and add worth in the direction of the authentic weblog release.
    sleep sounds app

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    labor day 2015 sales

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    best labor day sales on mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    every situation

    ReplyDelete
  7. The body is a great place to get the mattress topper. The mattress is a great way to get the best quality sleep. It is a good idea to have a volvo

    ReplyDelete