Monday, March 31, 2014

Saying Goodbye to A Friend

Saying goodbye to a friend is never easy. Especially someone who you have become close to for about 10 years. A friend that has travel the world with you to Europe, Africa, Asia and South America with me. Who am I talking about? My passport!


For Thanksgiving in 2012, I wrote that I am thankful for what the passport stands for: being an American. The truth is that I am thankful for my passport. This combination of cardboard and paper opened the world to me. When I applied for the passport in August 2004, I had never left the United States. I applied for the passport for an upcoming Spring Break trip to London, which never happened. Never in my wildest dreams did I think 10 years later would I have visited Asia, Europe, Africa and South America. 2 continents shy of my goal of visiting all 7 by the age of 30.

Over the past 10 years, my passport has become one of my closest friends. Many of the trips I have taken have been solo. The only thing that has been with me on every trip has been my passport. Its been with me on every trip in my pocket, in my pouch across my chest, or under the airplane seat. I lose it all the time on the airplane. My recent trip to Canada will be my last with this passport. Its time to get it renewed. :(



Here is a quick look of every country that left a mark in my passport:


  • Belgium - August 2005
  • France - September 2005
  • Ireland -September 2005
  • Scotland - October 2005
  • Italy - October 2005
  • Switzerland - October 2005
  • Cyprus -November 2005
  • Austria - November 2005
  • Serbia - November 2005
  • Bosnia Herzegovina - November 2005
  • Croatia - November 2005
  • England - March 2006
  • Spain - February 2009
  • Canada - August 2010
  • Germany - February 2012
  • Burkina Faso - February 2012
  • Niger - February 2012
  • Mali - February 2012
  • Portugal - February 2012
  • Japan - December 2012
  • Argentina - November 2013
  • Canada - March 2014
  • United States - to many times

I have traveled to many more countries, but within Europe travel between countries results in no stamps. Regardless, in 10 years, I think I did pretty well traveling the world part time.

Well good friend, its been nice knowing you. Enjoy retirement.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                    Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

No comments:

Post a Comment