Saturday, January 3, 2015

Yes, I Paid For A Checked Bag

About 5 year ago, airlines were desperate to raise revenue in the face of fuel prices. In this desperation, some airline executive came up with the idea to start charging for the 1st checked bag. For decades, the 1st checked bag was included in the price of your ticket.



Since I have started flying more often, I have avoided paying for a checked bag. Either I flew an airline like Southwest Airlines that still does not charge for checking baggage, used an airline credit card to purchase my ticket that gave me a free bag or stuffed all my clothes into a carry-on bag. I was determined to do anything possible to avoid giving the airline more money.

Well last night, I finally lost and gave $25 to check a bag on my United flight. My family graciously gifted me tons of clothes and gear for my upcoming trip to Antarctica. These gifts made it difficult to travel home with a checked bag. I need these clothes in a few months time, so they needed to come home to DC with me.



My options of getting this gear to DC were limited:

  • A few months ago, I cancelled my Chase United card eliminating my ability to get a free check bag. 
  • I don't have elite status with United ie no free checked ag
  • Southwest would have been free, but 3+ hour trip home after landing
  • Sending by postal was not an ideal option. I dreaded finding a proper sized box, packing my stuff up, driving to the postal office, waiting in line at the post office, paying $X, waiting a week for my package to arrive at my office, and dragging it home after work one day.    
Therefore, United got $25 out of me. Sometimes, you just have to pay the man!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                              Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

1 comment:

  1. Problems of Barclays cards, business banking, current accounts, mobile banking, lost cards, online and mobile banking all are facilitated. barclays lost card number 0870 186 189 .

    ReplyDelete