Wednesday, October 2, 2013

3 Reasons Why I am Not Participating in US Airway's Fall Kickoff




US Airways sent out an email announcing their fall bonus, called Fall Kickoff. The promotion offers you bonus miles on top of miles earned for flights on US Airways between September 30th & November 30th, if you complete a partner activity.


As you can see, if you complete an activity from the left list, you will earn a Field Goal (50% bonus). On the other hand, complete an item off the right list and earn a touchdown or 100% miles bonus.

Here is why I am not participating:

1) Completing a partner activity to qualify will be unnecessarily spend for me

  •  As written here and here, I have targeted spends on other credit cards
  •  Most hotels allow you to earn miles or their points, not points. My hotel stays tied up     with IHG's The Big Win  
  •  Don't need a rental car in the next two months plus rental car companies charge to earn airline  miles
  •  Don't need to fly to Mexico City or to Boston or NYC (Shuttle Flights)
  •  Annual membership in US Airways Club is outside my budget
2)  I don't have any planned trips on US Airways in the next 60 Days
  • The bonus only works if you fly on US Airways during the promotional period
    • No flights = no bonus miles
  • 100% bonus on earned miles is nice, but no enough to mileage run
3) No Time to Plane
  • US Airways sent the on the first day of the promotion. That gives very little time to plan to maximize the promotion. I am flying over the next 60 days heavily, but the trips were planned many months ago.


The promotion is kinda of lame compared to past US Airways promotions. If you are flying US Airways in the next few months, then this promotion is great. Participate, because leaving points on the table is never good. For me, I am going to register, because you never know what might come up. However, I am not going to go out of my way to participate.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints! Have a question for me? E-mail me at jd@doitforthepoints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment