Monday, January 13, 2014

Observations From A Quick Mileage Run

In December, the Flight Deal post a great deal from DCA to BOS (nonstop) for only $98. I was just about to go to bed when I saw the post, but decided to jump on it. At the time, I was 1200 miles short for Aegean Gold Status.  I quickly booked a weekend trip for Martlin Luther King Weekend and decided to book another quick mileage run.


Yesterday, I went on the mileage run. A quick four hour trip. My goal was to be back in DC for brunch with a friend. As I do with every trip, here are my thoughts:

   National Airport (DCA) is a great airport for two reasons:

      1) The Metro Goes Directly To The Airport
         


          The Metro entrance is through those doors and down that hallway is security.


      2) Great Views of the Monuments from the ground and air:

         The Capital in the far background:


        The Pentagon from the air:



      3) US Airways Won My Heart With Biscoff Cookies

           

           On both my US Airways the new American, they gave Biscoff Cookies. I am addicted
           to these things. My first introduction was during US Airways GrandSlam. I ordered
           these from Biscoff get a "hit."

     4) 40,000 Miles US Airway Barclays Credit Card Offer

          On both flights, the flight attendants were hawking the new 40,000 Mile Barclays' Credit
          Card offer. If you applied in air, you got a bonus 500 miles, regardless of approval.
          The attendants didn't mention an annual fee; therefore, I assume its the $89 offer.

     5) Eating Healthy In An Airport is Difficult

         One of my 2014 goals is to eat healthier. One of the unhealthiest activities in my life is
         travel. Especially, during mileage runs. I tend to eat whatever is available and airport
         food is not always healthy.

         In Boston, I was looking for a quick breakfast and decided on this egg white avocado
         on a skinny bagel and a banana:

       
     
          Overall, this sandwich was a fail. It had a lemon aioli, which over-powered the
          entire sandwich. However, the sandwich was only 400 calories, so a win!

       6) Who is Pen Air?


            This airline had a plane here. It peaked by interested, so I did some research.

            Pen Air is an Alaskan based airline that has a East Coast hub at Boston Logan. From
            Logan, Pen Air flies to Bar Harbor (BHB), Long Island Islip (ISP), Plattsburg (PBG)
            and Presque Island (PQI).

           More research will be needed to find out why they are on the East Coast.

        7) Exit From The Back of The Plane


             On my way back from Boston, the flight attendants announced that we will be
             deplaning from both the front and back of the plane. Since I sit in the last row,
             I was one of the first people off the plane. This was a double first for me.

                   1) Deplaning from the back of the plane at DCA

                   2) Being the first off the plane.

             Have you every deplanning from the back at DCA?

The most important question you might be wondering. Yes, I made our brunch reservation at 1:30 pm at
Matchbox....


Overall, a great Sunday!          
     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                               Follow us on Twitter @doit4thepoints!

No comments:

Post a Comment